Chapter Ninety-Seven

I seethed as I flung open the car door, storming out with a such force that the door slammed shut behind me

I seethed as I flung open the car door, storming out with a such force that the door slammed shut behind me. The men immediately noticed my rage and tensed, readying themselves for a fight. I was pissed off!

I could hear Enzo calling me from behind but Dante—his own brother—pressed a hand to his chest, pushing him back, "What did you do?" he turned to me, "Boss, what did he do?"

I glared at Enzo and then shook my head, "It's alright, Dante, let him go"

Dante stepped out of his way and Enzo followed me into the building. I stepped into a different elevator to get to my floor, I really didn't want to be in such a small space with him right now because I might commit murder.

With a ding, the elevator doors slid open and I walked to my penthouse suite. I swiped the key; entered my apartment and I was about to close the door, Enzo stuck his foot between the door.

I glared at his foot and raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"I was worried."

I pursed my lips as irritation gnawed at my skin. "You were worried because you think I couldn't handle him on my own. Well, for your information, Enzo, I have been handling Nikolai Costello on my own since I was eighteen. I didn't need anyone then and I don't need anyone now. Stop questioning my authority, it's time you realize that I'm the one who calls the shot after Uncle Luca, not you!"

He nodded, swallowing thickly, "I understand that, but there were three of them. You were alone."

I threw my hand in the air frustratedly, "I don't care! I told you to stay in the car which means, you fucking stay in the car! You disobeyed a direct order from me!"

"I didn't mean to—"

"Yeah, well, you did."

He nodded, slumping his shoulder, "I'm ready to take any punishment."

I lifted a shoulder, "I don't have to give you a punishment, you gave yourself one when you showed your face to Nikolai Costello. He won't kill me, I know that, but he will gladly kill the boyfriend of his wife."

He gave his head a shake, "I'm not afraid of him, I'm afraid of you—"

I cut him off, "Bullshit! If you were afraid of me, you wouldn't have done what you did. Now enjoy being Nikolai's first target."

"You are not his wife anymore!"

I gave him a sarcastic look, "Aren't I? I mean, if I wasn't why would I be here getting a divorce?"

My condescending tone was enough to shut him up. He removed his shoe from between the door and stood straight before me, "I'll try my very best to follow your orders. I'll try to keep our personal life out of our business."

"There's no personal life between us, it's just business because one more mistake and I'll shoot you without a second thought."

"Got it."