Chapter Thirty-Two

I was glued to one place for days with tears pouring down my cheeks

I was glued to one place for days with tears pouring down my cheeks. I didn't cry for this long even when my parents died. I was rattled, confused, and hurt.

I couldn't believe that it had happened. For some reason my mind was trying to make me believe that it was all a bad dream, Nikolai didn't treat me that way, and Nikolai didn't say those words to me but the cuts underneath my feet were telling me a different story.

A white bandage covered both of my feet. Last night, I somehow made it into the bathroom where I had to pull the shards out of my feet, and then I sloppily bandage them. The cuts weren't too big but they were deep enough to bleed like hell and they hurt so bad.

Every time I thought about the night before, goosebumps covered my entire body. That was not the Nikolai I knew, it was the monster that I saw when he locked me in that room. It was the monster that had killed that man outside this house. It was the monster that lives in the back of his mind. It was the ruthless Don Niko.

I suddenly wanted to get away from here. I didn't want to be here after all the things that he had said.

A lowlife stray—he called me.

A whore, a slut, and many more colorful names.

When he brought me here, I asked him to let me go back to my home. I told him that I would get a job but he didn't listen. He told me that this was my home again and again and then last night the things he accused me of made me feel so low and embarrassed about myself. I never asked for anything. I only asked to go to college and he took that from me too.

My bedroom door opened and I flinched. I peeked at the door and saw Scott with a tray of food in his hands. He sighed before he made his way toward me. I slid back, pressing my body into the headboard and away from him.

He placed the tray of food before me. "Breakfast, Sweet cheeks"

"I don't want Don Niko's generosity anymore," I replied, looking down at my nails.

He let out a dry breath. "Look, I don't know what happened between you and him but---"

"Can you help me get out of here?" I asked.

His eyes widened momentarily. "Excuse me?"

"Scott, I don't need anything of his... please. I know you don't like me but please can you help me?" I begged as tears formed in my eyes again. 

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. This was the first time Scott didn't look annoyed by my presence or looked at me as if I disgusted him. He gave his head a gentle shake and faced me.

"Sweet cheeks, I know whatever he did to you was fucked up. I know him, I know what he is capable of. I'm his best friend but he was mourning the loss of his mother. He wasn't in his senses"

I furrowed my eyebrows. Did he just say that he was mourning the loss of his mother? What happened to his mom, I had no idea. "What happened?"

He stared at my bandaged feet. "She died, she was sick for a long time and died two days ago."