Chapter Forty-Four

I had my headphones on as I continuously flipped the pages of the book that was before me

I had my headphones on as I continuously flipped the pages of the book that was before me. I hadn't read a word, the music blasted in my ears blocking out all the other sounds.

I slammed the book shut and got off my bed. Nikolai had called Bianca earlier, I knew that he did because Bianca and I hadn't talked after his whole engagement fiasco. 

I pretended to be asleep while Bianca waited for me. I didn't wake up until she finally gave up and left the house.

I got to my feet, straightened out my dress, and headed downstairs. His house was crawling with his soldiers, they all tried to avoid making eye contact with me.

They were moving some stuff into the house, some furniture, suitcases, and whatnot. Was Nikolai redecorating?

I hopped onto the couch and put on the TV at full volume. Someone grabbed the remote out of my hand and turned the volume down.

I huffed and looked up to see Nikolai looking down at me. He placed both of his hands on the headrest of the couch and dipped his head. "Do I need to get your ears checked?"

I rolled my eyes. "Are you redecorating?"

His eyebrow lifted. "What?"

"Why are your guys all over the place?"

He let out a dry breath and looked around. "Come on, let's go?"

I frowned. "Where?"

He held my hand and tugged me upwards making me stand on my feet. I put on my ballet flats, he stood there holding my hand from the other side of the couch. Once, he saw that I was done, he tugged me along with him out of the house. His car was parked out front, he opened the door and made me sit. He made his way around the car and settled into the driving seat.

"Where are we going?" I asked again but he didn't say anything.

He cast me a sideways glance, all dark and brooding. I ignored the way his heated gaze made me feel, it was something other than anger. Silence hung in the air, heavy and suffocating as he drove. His face was set in stone like this is the last place he wanted to be.

The car came to a halt, I looked out the window to see woods on either side of us. A strange sense of déjà vu washed over me. I suddenly remembered the dirty black van they threw me in, how I was hauled out of it by my hair and tossed on the floor like I didn't matter. How my voice and my strength were taken from me.

I didn't realize that I was glued to the car seat, my mind was lost somewhere far away until Nikolai opened the car door from my side. I got startled out of the horrible memory by Nikolai as he grabbed my hand again and pulled me out.

He dragged me along with him walking cautiously, his gaze darting all over the ground as if searching for traps.

An old warehouse came into our view and Nikolai walked straight to it but before he entered, he stopped and turned toward me.