Chapter Seventy-Six

A mess

A mess.

A complete mess.

Nikolai had turned the whole living room upside down as he stood in the middle like a raging bull. Rage exuded from him, and a lump formed in my throat as I took in his expression.

I kept standing at the last step because there was glass everywhere. His eyes were bloodshot, he was breathing heavily and the way he was staring at me scared me a little... just a little.

"Go back to your room," he said lowly.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Go back to your room, Evangeline," his tone inferred that he didn't want to talk right now.

I saw blood dripping from his hand. If I was wearing my slippers I would have walked toward him and seen it for myself even though I was mad at him but unfortunately, I was barefoot.

"Are you hurt?"

"Go. Back. To. Your. Room."

I crossed my arms over my chest. I was done being ordered around by Nikolai, I won't let him treat me this way, "If you had a bad day at work, you don't have to take it out on me or the furniture!"

He took a threatening step my way, "Go back to your room before I do something we both will regret!"

I threw my hand in the air frustratedly, "I was supposed to be mad at you, not the other way around!"

He held his head in his hands, "FUCK!"

I shook my head and stomped back upstairs. He can't do that, he can't just do that. I'm the one who is angry at him. I'm the one who had been wronged! He can't just act like a freaking victim in all this.

I slammed the door shut and went to sit on my bed. What could have possibly happened for him to act this way? Was it something big or what?

What am I even doing here?

I squeezed my eyes shut and dropped my head over my lap. I feel like my life is falling apart like I have no idea what I am doing anymore.

He is warm and loving one second and the next second he is cold and domineering. I have no idea who my husband is. He's a mystery, it's really hard to guess what is going on in his mind. It's really hard to predict his next move.

I don't want to live like this...

I want to know my husband. I know Nikolai isn't an ordinary man. I know he isn't perfect, he is a Don, a head of a crime family, the king of the Cosa Nostra.

I am not expecting him to change for me because even for a girl like me—who lives in a fantasy world—it's a bit of a stretch. I can't change who he is but the least he could do was be honest with me. I wanted him to treat me like an equal, I don't want him to baby me.