Chapter Fifty-Two

We were sitting around the table at a restaurant with my father, Grace, Scott, and my Evangeline

We were sitting around the table at a restaurant with my father, Grace, Scott, and my Evangeline. She kept playing with the food on her plate, and haven't really taken an actual bite of it.

Every two seconds, she'd glance in my direction, her cheeks would heat, and the flustered look on her face was enough for everyone to know that she was thinking of something inappropriate.

She looked different today, good different. She seemed happier. I don't remember her being this happy since she got kidnapped. She wore a blue dress, her dark-colored hair was loosely curled and she was wearing light pink lipstick. Full, pink, and glossy, with a tiny mole above the left side of her mouth. A sudden urge to suck that lipstick off her lips crept up.

I was really close to taking her this evening and I know she wouldn't have complained either but it didn't fucking feel right. I was still wearing Grace's ring on my finger and she told me that she won't have sex with me not until I take this fucking ring off permanently. I took it off momentarily to give her an orgasm and then put it on again.

It's not the same.

"How's my son been treating you, Grace?" my father asked, putting a forkful of steak in his mouth.

Grace smiled widely, she looked at me through her lashes and then at my dad. "Honestly, Mr. Costello, I couldn't ask for a better husband and it's really hard to say that in our world. Today, he came back after a week and handed me his black card to go shopping for myself. I mean, what more a woman could ask for?"

Yeah, I did it so, I could spend time with the woman I actually want and for that, I needed her as far away from us as possible.

Evangeline glanced at her, her lips curled into a knowing smile before she looked back down at her plate.

Pops chuckled, satisfied with her answer. He wanted this alliance more than anything in the world because it would turn the White House in our favor. If you control the chief of staff of the president of the United States, it fucking means you control the White House, you control the president. It would mean more power, more land, and more authority. It would make us invincible.

And throwing it all away for a girl was a bad fucking idea but when was I ever the one to follow rules.

I had enough power, enough authority. I wanted more power, yes, but I wasn't greedy enough to marry a whore my father has chosen for me.

I turned back to the conversation at hand, my father and Grace were making plans again for the wedding, hoping that it goes on without any obstacles this time.

"How about this Saturday?" Grace suggested, she wanted to be done with the wedding as fast as she could.

I know she had sensed my disinterest in this marriage from the very beginning. She was trying to tie me down.

Stupid girl.

"This Saturday is perfect," I added to the conversation 

All the heads at the table snapped in my direction. I noticed the fork slowly dropping through Evangeline's fingers and onto the plate. Hurt flashed through her eyes and then she looked down at her lap.