Chapter Ninety-Four

Uncle Luca, Leo, and I laughed at an overly lame joke the President of the Senate had uttered

We had invited the man into our house for dinner, he had been on good terms with Uncle Luca when they were young, they both went to the same school in Sicily but then drifted apart later in life.

Uncle Luca had decided to rekindle their lost friendship because I needed something from this man.

Apparently in New York City, I was still the missing girl and Leo was still on the list of most wanted criminals. My so-called parents were still looking for me and my name had been stamped everywhere, the government officials were on high alert for anyone named Evangeline Bolton.

The second I'll set foot in my country again, the first thing the American government will do is cage me in a cell, arrest Leo, and alert my so-called parents hence alerting my psycho husband.

Because we all know who those so-called parents work for. The second they'll know, their next stop will be Nikolai Costello—the tornado of darkness.

I don't want him to know, not yet anyway because that man is always ten steps ahead of everyone. I don't want to give him time to devise a plan and for all that, I needed the President of the Senate, Roberto Lombardi's help.

Our men were standing all around us, at first, they were a little reluctant to follow a girl, well, they downright hated answering to me but over time, I gained their respect. I proved to them that I can do anything that a man can do, that I can be as ruthless as anyone—I mean, I learned from the best, I learned all of my tricks right out of Nikolai Costello's handbook.

There was an attack on our home eight months ago—Uncle Luca had enemies all over the country—I single-handedly saved my uncle's life by killing the man who was leading the attack. He underestimated me, and made fun of me, he thought just because I was a thin, little girl, I must be stupid with no power whatsoever. So, I killed him to prove him wrong with a knife that I had in my pocket that day, it was in the early days of my training.

Being here, I realized that not many people like you if you're an infamous drug lord, Uncle Luca's life was hell, Nikolai on the other hand had too much power, I don't remember this many people messing with him. And now the same business was being handed down to me. I had learned a lot in the past year but I was still learning something new every single day.

My men stood erect all around the room, waiting for my or Luca's order. I gestured for Dante to come closer and he did, he leaned over, placing his ear next to my lips.

"Bring over the gift," I whispered to him.

He nodded and immediately went out of the room, taking two to three men along with him.

Roberto Lombardi was an aesthete, he loved art more than he loved his wife and children. I knew everything about him, our men even counted his bathroom breaks, there was not a single secret about him that I didn't know but Roberto was a sweetheart. I didn't want to use the information until I really had to.