Chapter Ninety-One

It's been more than one month in this hell hole

It's been more than one month in this hell hole. I haven't seen sunlight, I haven't breathed in fresh air. This is the worse kind of isolation I ever had to endure. Every time I feel like I'm finally gonna be free, I end up in a way worse confinement.

I heaved a sigh and played around with the scrambled eggs on my plate. We have limited electricity down here, we have an oven, a microwave, and a refrigerator that we can use in the kitchen. In the storage room, the clean drinking water bottles, boxed ready-to-make meals, cereals, beans, and so many more things were available but I didn't feel like eating anything. I'm so sick of everything.

I glanced at Leo, who was silently eating his food. Without even looking at me, he said, "Eat, Evie, you need food to survive."

I blew out a breath, "What am I even surviving for? More confinement and isolation? Even if the people—who you refuse to name—will be here and take us out of here, what then? It's not like I can live freely and do whatever I want, because apparently, he has eyes everywhere!" I stabbed the fork into the egg and shoved it into my mouth.

Leo stopped eating and looked at me, "It will get better."

I scoffed, "I highly doubt that because now it feels like a mistake!"

"What feels like a mistake?" he asked.

"Leaving him... leaving him feels like a mistake! Maybe, I shouldn't have left because at least I had fresh air to breathe. I can't even go back now because he will probably kill me."

Leo sighed, grabbing my hand that was resting on the table, "Evie, sweetheart—"

The loud pounding on the trap door caught our attention. I jumped up in my seat, looking at it with wide eyes. For a second, it felt like my worse nightmare was coming true. That Nikolai would burst through that door and kill me. I didn't want to go back to him, I was just complaining to Leo.

Leo placed a finger over his lips, shushing me. He walked toward the ladder and looked up. The pounding resounded again, I swallowed and got up.

"Stay back!" Leo whisper-yelled.

He went up the ladder and knocked back but in a specific sequence, the person outside knocked back in a different sequence and that made Leo smile.

"They are here..." he said to me before he pulled out his keys and started to unlock the padlocks. One by one, he opened up every single lock on that door and then stepped down the ladder.

Leo walked back to me, "Don't worry about anything now, okay?"

A man in black clothing with a black mask over his face stepped down the ladder. He looked at me and then at Leo, and nodded to himself.

"It's them," he said into his phone before he pulled out a gun.

"Leo!" the words were still in my mouth when a dart jabbed into Leo's neck but before I could do anything or run into my room another dart jabbed into my arm.