Chapter Seventy-Two

I groaned as I lifted my heavy eyelids, I held my head in my hands

I groaned as I lifted my heavy eyelids, I held my head in my hands. I was still laying on my stomach, I placed my palms beside me on the bed and pulled myself up. I blew out a breath as I looked around the empty bedroom.

I touched the nape of my neck and found a bandage wrapped over it. They must have pulled out whatever it was.

I placed my feet on the ground, feeling lightheaded and a little disorientated. I stood up with the help of the nightstand and walked to the mirror. I turned my back to it and tried to look at the bandage through the mirror, it was nothing big but still quite noticeable.

I glanced at the clock and it read seven a.m, my eyes widened as I realized that I slept through an entire day.

I went to the bathroom, filled the tub with warm water, and slid inside, soothing my aching limbs with warm water.

I didn't wash my hair or else the bandage would have gone wet. Stepping out, I dried my body with a towel and put on a green sundress.

I went downstairs and the house was eerily quiet, Nikolai changes the staff nowadays like he changes clothes. I frowned and went to the kitchen to cook breakfast for myself. I made scrambled eggs and sat on the kitchen island alone as I ate them.

I still felt a little off, maybe it was the sedative they had given me or maybe it was my husband's behavior...

I slightly rolled my eyes, he is wrong if he thinks that I'll let him walk all over me like that just because we are married now. I wasn't his slave or his pretty little bird like his father had called me.

He always demands respect for himself, Scott, his men, his father, and the rest of his family. Where the hell is my respect? Don't I deserve it too? Wasn't I human enough for him to be respected?

I would have apologized if he had listened to me and if he had given me a chance to explain myself but he didn't. The second his father fed him lies, he snapped at me without even thinking that maybe he was the one lying. He knows what his father is capable of, he had told me that he is a dangerous man much like Nikolai.

I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my jaw, if that's how Nikolai wants things then fine, he can have everything his way but I won't be a part of it.

For the two weeks, we had spent in Italy, his relatives had made me feel inferior and bad about myself every chance they could get. They called me names, they called me the other woman, a slut who slipped into Niko's bed, a hussy, a girl with loose morals and whatnot but I still didn't say anything because Nikolai had told me to ignore them. Now I realized that it's not going to be any different here, Nikolai's family including his father would never accept me and I refuse to be treated like I'm less than a human, I refuse to take any more insults hurled my way.

What hurt me the most was his behavior. He gets furious for his people, for his family but he doesn't even bat an eyelash when someone treats me badly.