One step closer

Word spread across the 5 nations fast. In some, Sasuke was claimed to be a hero, to those who had lost their loved ones, to those who were hunted.  To others, Sasuke was a monster, a beast something to be put down. He scared them and accomplished something Ninja hve failed to do for generations.

In Konoha it was a mix of both. People were proud of Sasuke, he was putting it out there that Konoha Ninja were irreplaceable. That had a downside, they knew Sasuke had accomplished impressive things... that scared them. Especially since he refused to be tied down.

Shikamaru leaned out the window from Asuma's hospital room. He had had unlit cigarette in his hand as he listened to the civilians below.

"Did you hear about the Uchiha?" A young man said.

"Yeah, the guy killed the Zombie duo right?" The older man muttered as he rubbed his chin.

"Immortal duo, and yes he did. He's kinda cool," The young male replied.

"Hmph, he's a threat. He doesn't associate with Konoha you might be his next target," the old man grumbled.

"Oh yeah of course," The young man replied sarcastically.

The two walked off continuing their mini argument. Shikamaru watched in silence. Sasuke fulfilled his request. He did it quickly too.

A smirk grew on his face.

"What... happened?..." Asuma's hoarse voice asked. It was dry and overused.

"Sasuke saved us..." Shikamaru replied. No reason to lie about it. It would help both Sasuke and himself in the long run.

"Sasuke?..." He asked in confusion.

Why? Why would Sasuke save him? What did he gain? It didn't make sense. Wait... the necklace. That was the last thing he could recall. He was dying, and used the last of his Chakra in the necklace Shikamaru gave him.

"Yeah, the whole thing was a drag. One moment you were dying, next thing I knew, You, Sasuke and I were in the Hokage's office," Shikamaru answered. He was leaving up against the window.

A beat of silence. Asuma thought for a moment.

"This necklace..." He started fiddling with the small gem. "It summoned Sasuke didn't it...." He said. He wasn't asking, he knew it did, it was a statement. "Why?"

Shikamaru sighed, he leaned back out the window and lit his cigarette. He took a deep inhale before releasing the smokey breath out into the air.

"He owed me a favour. So I asked him to make it for me, so troublesome," The Nara mumbled. He believed in Sasuke, he could see the determination in the Uchiha's eyes. Sasuke was going to risk his life for a better future.

It was inspiring in a troublesome way  Shikamaru wanted to do the same, no he would do the same. But not if he had to watch Asuma and his father die again.

Not again...

Shikamaru took a deep breath, Asuma's death flashed before his eyes. He could see the cold empty eyes. The blood that dribbled from his mouth, the outstretched hand that reached for hope... hope that never came. The lone tear that fell from the corpse, as his last thoughts were the family he'd never meet....

A cold shiver ran down his spine, he took a shaky inhale of his cigarette to help calm his nerves. It was too similar, to close to having the same ending.

"Tell me the truth...." Asuma spoke up. He was staring at the ceiling. "Sasuke isn't the problem is he...." Asuma stated.

Shikamru gave a huff of amusement. "No, that troublesome guy is anything but...."