(20)Cold Hearted

Hey guys here is chapter 20. It's kind of on the short side, but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Read

Vote

Comment

Enjoy

xoxoxo

Cold Hearted

The corners of Leigh's mouth tugged downwards as her nose crinkled and her eyes fluttered open. She winced, the piecing bright lights making her blue irises burn with a tingling sensation. Her mouth fell open, and her tongue went across her dry and bruised bottom lip. Her mouth was completely dry with a coppery twang sticking to the back of her throat. She shifted her head, turning it to the side only to see her mother staring into a crossword puzzle book.

With hesitant hands, she pushed herself upwards into a sitting position and cleared her throat. "What happened?" She croaked, her voice sounding unsteady as she forced the words out. She felt strange. Her body was most definitely weak, but behind the dullness was a sharp nagging feeling pressing against her ribs. She could feel it with every intake of breath she took, she just didn't understand why she would be feeling that way. As she looked around, she could tell she was in a hospital. She was on a small bed, with IV's attached to her and different machines beeping in her ear.

Ana's eyes jerked away from the puzzle book and onto Leigh. She found herself taking a huge breath of relief as she said "You were in an accident honey." She paused, closing her eyes in an attempt to find the words to say next. Leigh had just woken, and she didn't want to overwhelm her with upsetting news. "The police officers believe that the breaks on your truck had been tampered with."

Leigh's eyebrows went up as creases in her forehead was made. She couldn't believe what her mother was saying.

Why would anyone want to tamper with my breaks? She couldn't help but to think, and like a favor, her mind raced back to her last memories. She was hit with the knowledge of the dangerous mob, but what really shook her was what had happened before the accident. She had overheard a private conversation were Jason, the man she had grown to trust and have feelings for, admitted to manipulating her and damn near putting her family in danger in the process.

She gritted her teeth, her hands balling into fists as she could feel herself becoming angry. She took a deep breath and tried to calm down. "Where's Jason?" she forced out. Every fiber in her body wanted to address him as a lying sack of shit, but she didn't want to alarm her mother. She knew that if she started to bad mouth Jason, Ana would be all over her and invading her with nosy questions. Instead, she would have to wait to chew him out later.

"I just told him to go to the cafeteria for something to eat," Ana said, giving Leigh a weak smile. "Poor fella has been up here and never left your side for a week."

"A week!" Leigh screeched, her voice going so high that she winced. "I was in a coma?"

"I'm afraid so sweetie," Ana said sadly. "You went through the window shield! Thankfully you only have a few minor scrapes and bruises. You kind of put pressure on your ribs, and the impact did a number on your head, but other than that the doctors said you would be fine...if you would have woken up."