Chapter 24: Danger

Sadao opens his eyes, having been extracted by Ju Ichi with Karin next to him he glances around, Anzu was already extracted but still unconscious. He glances around not seeing Orochimaru anywhere.

"What happened?" He groans shaking his head.

"Don't know, Sai, Kabuto and Orochimaru are missing and Naruto's unconscious by Sakura and Yamato but that's it." Ju Ichi informs his captain.

"Well, something got us fucking good..."

"Yeah... whatever it was, got us too." Ju Ichi says.

"Well, whatever it was, we'll get it back tenfold."

The group all see Naruto and the others join them in the crater.

"Will somebody tell me what happened here?" Naruto demands.

They stand up walking towards the group as they speak none of them noticing Sadao and company.

"Where's Sai?" Sadao asks, descending the crater.

Yamato sighs. "Sai... he's gone with Orochimaru."

"What happened?"

"Two things. First, he had a conversation with Orochimaru. Then he left with him and Kabuto."

Naruto stares up at his captain. "Huh? But, why? What do you think it means?"

"What was it they talked about?" Sakura asks.

"They were too far away for my clone to overhear."

Ju Ichi sighs "What could it have been?"

"Maybe he was forced to go along against his will."  Sakuta points out the possibility.

Sadao shakes his head. "No, something says he went willingly but begrudgingly."

"Kidnapped? It didn't appear that way. No Sai approached Orochimaru and gave him something. It's like he was trying to ingratiate himself."

"Hang on, Sai may be one of the biggest jerks I've ever met, but you're not really saying that he'd betray us, are you?" Naruto asks.

"It is possible." Anzu notes.

"What?"

"Sakura, is this about him?"

Sakura nods. "Yeah..."

"Okay then. Do you all know a man named Danzo?" Sadao asks.

A mixture of yes's and no's from the group.

"I've never heard of the guy." Naruto says.

"He's a member of the Hawk faction that once opposed lord third Hokage." Sadao begins explaining. "And is Sai's superior. A fool who doesn't think that highly of the old man's legacy. Sai making contact with Orochimaru could be part of a move on Danzo's part. It's possible that Sai has his own mission. One entrusted to him by Danzo. It would have to be covert and very separate from ours."

"So this is why we were sent along?" Ju Ichi asks.

"Yeah, to watch his movements and report them directly to Tsunade."

"So what now, do we return or?"

"So, then, this whole mission, he was using us? Just playing us all along until he could get in touch with Orochimaru?" Naruto shouts.

"That's the basics."

"This is only something of a wild guess, but I have a feeling I know what's going on here. Listen closely you six. I think Danzo might be plotting the destruction of Konoha." Yamato informs them. The entirety of the group stands there silenced after his words.