Adamantium

Spider-man Narrating/Breaking the 4th Wall

Text/Writing
------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is the knife Bullseye was using. I believe it to be adamantium based solely on the fact that it cut through Eraserhead's scarf as if it were butter." Peter explained, still in his Spider-man suit.

After the battle against Bullseye, Peter recognised the metal of the knife that the assassin used. When Aizawa wasn't watching, he grabbed it and immediately swung to the hotel that the Wolverines were staying at in hopes of an answer.

Logan leaned back against his chair as he analysed the knife that the kid had handed to him. It was definitely adamantium. Logan could recognise the substance anywhere. With a simple grunt, he placed the knife down on the hotel coffee table and confirmed Peter's suspicions.

"Well bub, you were right. This is definitely adamantium."

"Heard the stuff is indestructible. The stuff is comparable to vibranium. Which begs the question, why to use it for a knife?"

That question has been nagging Peter since he spotted the thing. He read many reports about terrorists like Hydra and A.I.M trying to use stuff like vibranium and adamantium to construct weapons of mass destruction. So why would Fisk use it for a knife?

Logan was deep in thought for a moment. Despite his tendency to rush head-first into things, Logan is one of the best strategists in the world. Being able to figure out a person's motive was an important factor.

He took a quick glance at the bed in which Laura was supposed to sleep during their stay, then turned back to Peter and asked, "Has Fisk ever shown an interest in powerful weaponry?"

"Not to the levels that others would. He prefers to use influence and manpower."

"And how would a man like him gain influence?" Logan asked. He needed the kid to the conclusion by himself.

Peter thought for a minute before answering, "We'll, popularity seems to be his favourite. Black market sales are also on the list. Assassination for any competition. There's also..."

"Bingo."

This caught Peter off guard, as he was planning on listing a few other things. He looked at Logan, wondering if he imagined it. After not receiving any indication that he had misheard the older man, Peter asked, "What does Bullseye have anything to do with Fisk spending billions on adamantium?"

Logan tilted his head down slightly and said, "I'm not talking about Bullseye, bub. Or any other assassin in the fat man's pocket. I'm talking about an assassin that was ripped from his grasp. Assains if he was willing to pay more."

"I don't understand."

Logan sighed as he stood up and walked over to Peter, tossing him the knife. The kid caught it, just as Logan expected, even though Peter was taken by surprise when the X-man tossed him the very sharp and very dangerous weapon. He fumbled with the handle a bit but managed not to get cut.

And they say he's a teacher.

"It's not my story to tell, bub. If you want answers, you'll have to ask Laura."

"Laura? Wait, Fisk wanted to hire Laura?" Spidey wasn't sure why this news took him by surprise. He didn't know about Laura's past, but he probably knew more than most. She was cloned from Logan's DNA and was trained to be an assassin since birth, and that was pretty much it. The fact she was Logan's clone still amazed him. He could not connect the dirty brute in front of him to the beauty that was Laura Kinney, no matter how hard he tried.

Logan sighed and said, "Again, if you want answers, you'll have to talk to Laura about all of this."

Peter shifted uncomfortably before saying, "I already asked Laura about her past not too long ago. She said she wasn't ready to talk about it, and I don't want to pry."

Logan walked over to the kitchen and reached into the mini-fridge. From it, he pulled out a can of beer. Spider-man was forced to simply stand there in silence as he watched Logan chug the alcohol. He wasn't sure why he chose now to drink. It could be because the subject was difficult, but the alcohol wouldn't help due to his healing factor. Instead, Peter chalked it up to simply stalling.

Logan simply stared at the empty can when he was done. Peter was about to ask something, when Logan spoke up, "Laura trust you kid. There is no denying that. I've seen the way she looks at you when she thinks no one is looking, the way she acts whenever you're brought up in a conversation. She tries to hide it behind that cold demeanour of hers, but there's no denying it. Kid, you made her more human in a little over a month than anyone else has in over a year. That includes me. So, thank you for that."

Peter was slightly confused as to what to say to that, so he settled for a simple, "...uhhhh, thank you?"

Logan snorted at Peter's reaction. He then said, "You better get going, kid. It's a school night, and you have lots to talk about tomorrow and I don't know when you'll get the chance to do so again."

This statement caught Peter off guard. It felt random, and even though it was crystal clear, he wasn't sure what Logan meant by it.

"What do you mean? Why wouldn't I get another chance to talk to Laura about this?"

Without looking at Peter, Logan explained, "Francis is dead. Blown to pieces. They found shrapnel in the area but we ain't sure whether it is All for One's doing or not. Mutant disappearances have come to a complete halt and Fury needs me back in the States."

Peter couldn't comprehend what he was hearing. Was Logan saying that this was over? A month of bonding and investigating went down the drain, just like that. They couldn't leave, not now

"B-but All for One is still out there."

"And he has been out there for over a century. I have it kid, but the man is like a ghost. He can make even the most solid leads severe. To him, we're like rats in a maze. Right as we're about to the cheese, he can move it just a little bit further away. Francis was our only possible lead and now he is gone. Unless the bastard decides to make a show up to us personally, we won't find him. For now, it's for the best that we leave it at that. "

Peter was speechless. He did expect this to happen. He still wasn't sure what the thing between him and Laura was. Not sure as to what to say, he simply nodded and jumped out the nearby window, and began swinging home. 

Logan as on the couch and turned on the TV. An ad for some shampoo being sponsored by some no-name hero was playing. Logan sniffed the air, immediately picking up Laura's scent, which was similar to his own.  She was coming from the opposite direction that the kid was heading, so there was no chance that the two would bump into each other. Logan groaned, suddenly realising that he would have to warn his clone/daughter about the conversation she was going to have the next day.