Chapter 36: The Final Showdown

(a/n: you are on the last chapter) 

"Literally what are you talking about?" Minho asked, incredulously. 

Eunha breathed hard, trying to regain her composure. She knew that she wouldn't be able to save Jeongin this time if the Grim Reaper did try to cause him harm, all because of her fracture. Knowing no other way to express herself, she began with the truth, "I... this... there's a lot that has happened. Jeongin, please come to me..." 

He obeyed wordlessly, going to sit by her side on the bed, and she protectively held his hand and squeezed it tightly when she continued, "You all remember that I was sent here to kill, right?" she looked around, "But that changed when I met you all. Although I should have known it beforehand, I felt like human life carried importance. I lost my purpose to have com here... I-I began liking you guys, liking Jeongin..." 

Her hand trembled, and Jeongin tightened his grip on hers as she spoke, "That night, at the party... a car came speeding at me and Jeongin, and I accidentally killed the driver. And that was it, I had killed someone. My goal was complete, I didn't need to live here anymore..." 

"But didn't it crash by itself?" Jeongin asked meekly. 

"No. It crashed right by us the first time; that scene has been repeated in your reality. I was taken back to Hell. My mother... she was proud of me; everyone celebrated my return, but..." she looked at him solemnly, "I wanted to be with you." 

Everyone looked at each other, not knowing what to say. Eunha continued, "I fought with her, and she agreed to send me back, because, Jeongin..." she breathed, "You were supposed to die a day after the party." 

"What the fuck?" Seungmin was agape, just as the other were. 

"I know, and I pleaded her to save him... and after persuading, she agreed to let me save him... but she sent that fucking Grim Reaper with me to test me to save you. He's standing right next to Chan right now." 

Chan shivered and jumped off his spot. 

"But," Eunha painfully spoke, "The condition was that I am supposed to return home after saving you from the Grim Reaper. And he just doesn't seem to cease his attacks on you!" 

Jeongin grimly looked at the bedsheet, trying to wrap his head around her words, "Why didn't you... let me die?" 

"Why would you ask that?!" she protested, "Don't you know that I love you?" 

They all heard applause from the door, and Eunha's eyes widened; it was none other than Mommy Devil, stylishly standing against the door frame, eyes sharp and fierce, "So you finally spilled."  

"Is that..." Hyunjin gasped. 

"Your mother-in-law, Jeongin!" Jisung had his mouth hung open. 

Felix bowed before her respectfully, "Welcome to Earth, m'lady. I'm the woke one in here. I hope you like this chamber." 

Mommy Devil looked at them and chuckled, sounding a bit malicious (which scared everyone in the room... except her daughter, of course), and spoke, "Humans." 

"Mother? Why are you here?" Eunha questioned. 

"Apparently, I sent a fool up here with you," the mother looked pointedly at the Grim Reaper, who dejectedly looked at the ground, "And now I'm here to escort the Deviless to Hell myself. Your job is done, he can live longer now." 

Eunha's eyes lit up at the mention of Jeongin's life being saved, but the boy in question squeezed her hand. She looked at him, seeing him disappointed and in dismay. 

"What...?" she whispered. 

"Stay. Please." 

"Jeongin, I cannot-" 

"Do you think you can just make me fall for you, and save my life... and then simply vanish?" Jeongin spoke, tears collected in his eyes, threatening to spill, "You can't just leave like this, Eunha." 

"It's pathetic to see these emotions," the mother scoffed, "I shouldn't have sent her to this eccentric place." 

"But you did, ma'am," Jeongin responded to the Mommy Devil, "I am scared of you, ma'am, I admit it. But I'll do anything to make her stay with me." 

He looked at Eunha and broke into a tear-filled, warm smile, "She isn't the Queen of Hell anymore; she's a guardian angel for me. She saved me. And these angels don't deserve Hell." 

Eunha wanted to cry, if only she could. 

"You cannot tell me what I should do, mortal!" Mommy Devil raged, "Know your place!" 

"Mother..." Eunha began, "I've always seen you long for the throne; for you to be called the 'Deviless'..." she watched as her mother's face contorted into a shocked mien, "You've always wanted my throne, right?" 

"No-"

"You wanted to be the Queen after father, but he left me the throne, and not you. You've never hated me for it, but I can still see you long for it." 

"That's... not true!" 

"Who are you lying to?" Eunha urged, having learned how to convince someone on Earth itself, "I don't want the throne anymore, mother." 

"You cannot do that...!" 

"I'm doing it for you. I'm doing it for myself, too," Eunha, for the first time, smiled at her mother, "Please be the Deviless. I'm happy being a guardian angel for the human I love, mother." 

"Do you know what you're saying right now?" 

She looked at the people around her, "Do you know how hard it would be to go on a day without Felix's cheeriness? Or without Seungmin's sassy comments? Do you know how hard it is not to appreciate Changbin's maturity, or how contagious Hyunjin and Jisung's energy is? Do you know how much I appreciate Minho for being a true friend and looking after me? Do you know how to manage all of these chaotic people without Chan?" 

Eunha looked at Jeongin, now holding both his hands, "Do you know how hard it would be to live without Jeongin waking me up every morning, annoying me in the most endearing way possible, and loving me the way he does? Do you, mother?" 

She looked at her mother, seeing her so shocked, and tears spill from Eunha's eyes. 

Wait. Tears? 

She touched her cheeks, and discovered the wetness on them. So these are tears -- she thought, perplexed as to how she was able to cry, and overwhelmed with this human feeling. 

"What is..." Eunha couldn't complete when her mother sighed, "As the new Deviless, I banish you from Hell." 

"What...?" 

Mommy Devil actually grinned at her daughter, "For being a traitor to Hell, you have been punished with mortality. Live as a human, now, Jung Eunha." 

Eunha couldn't stop sobbing, "Mother... you're gonna be the best Deviless that there has ever been. I can assure you that." 

Her mother nodded, "I'll... I'll take your leave now, humans," she looked at the Grim Reaper, "And I'm firing you." 

As she turned around, Jisung spoke up, "Um, ma'am?" 

"Yes?" 

"Where'd you get that dress from? I wanna buy it for my mom, too." 

A collective sigh was heard in the room. 

(a/n: that was the last chapter, I'm crying T_T 

BUT WAIT, THERE'S AN EPILOGUE! DON'T GO YET! 

By the way I wrote the last two chapters and this one in the same morning. I've been working on this for 3.5 hours now, and my back is probably dead rip 

please stay tuned for the epilogue~ 

thanks for reading! i love you!)