The Night of Annoyance

"So I was on this boat, right. When all of a sudden..." When all of a sudden I lost interest, yet again in this guys boat stories.

Boats, flipped cars, motorcycles. You name it, I've heard it. That's what one too many dates will do to you. One too many dates that don't lead to more dates will leave you with 58 Chrises in your contacts list.

At 25 you would think I would be happy about my friends trying to set me up with someone right? No. Maybe if they had good taste in guys then yeah but they don't.

I'm not trying to sound stuck up or anything it's just that you know...I haven't really found anyone who's made the world turn for me yet. Maybe I'm just being stubborn or maybe I'm being logical I don't know but if I get asked to be a stupid bridesmaid one more time I might kill someone.

So here I am at the usual "date place", Ricky's. Oh boy do I have too many memories at this place. My brother is friends with the owner, Ricky and every time I make an appearance here with yet another Chris he gives me a look of sympathy. So when I arrived tonight with James (or Joe who cares at this point) he personally decided to wait on us.

"Sorry to interrupt but Liz your brother is on the phone. Something about the job interview?" Good timing Rick, good timing.

"Oops yeah sorry James I gotta take this!" I rushed away, leaving fifteen dollars on the table as I got up and left. Well, I only had a salad so that should cover it.

"It's Joe!" He yelled as I bolted quicker out of the restaurant.

"Really Liz? How many times am I gonna have to bail you out before you finally come in here with a guy you actually don't end up falling asleep on?!" He questioned me as we walked through the back alley of the place.

"Trust me when that day comes I'll let you know. But for now there's a Hawks game on so I gotta run!" I took off my shoes and threw on my sneakers that were in my bag. What? Those heels were uncomfortable!

"Ya can't run away from your problems forever kiddo!"

"Watch me!" And I continued on my way.

*******************
"Ahh home sweet home!" I hummed to myself as my dog, Captain, approached me. I've had Captain since I first moved to the city which was about 5 years ago. I've fallen in love with it ever since. It's just so easy going...HA NOT! Chicago is so busy that why I love it! There's nothing better than living in a city where literally only the owners of the small business know your name.

"Hey Cap! Who's a good boy? Your are! Yes you are! Did Janie feed you?" I ask him even though I know he can't answer.

"Yeah I fed the guy don't worry. You know you'd be a pretty good mom Lizzie. Always worrying about your kids like that." Jane said with a smirk. She's never gonna let the fact that I'm single go. She's the one who is always setting me up on dates. Jane and I moved to the city together from a small town in Massachusetts. She (of course) fell head over heals for a guy in the first month and they got married within the year we first moved here. They live in the apartment across the hall now.

"Let it go, Jane." I say monotone. I hate the talk of the future. Live in the now, right?

"Awe c'mon Liz! You know I'm kidding! So..." She says holding out the 'o'. "How was Joe?"

"If I came home alone how the hell do you think it went?" I said with a hint of sass.

"Oo yeah not a good sign. Sorry kiddo." She chuckled.

"Hey it's all good it's not like Chris or James or Bobby have been any better." I sigh.

"Bobby? I haven't set you up with a Bobby yet!" Her face lights up like a Rockefeller plaza Christmas tree.

"Goodbye Janie!" I say cheerfully as I shove her outside the apartment.

"Wait but you still haven't told me if your going to the-" and I slam the door in her face. Mrs. Parker will probably yell at me for that later but it's not my fault the cranky old lady decided to settle in an apartment building that's inhabited by kids in their 20s and 30s.

"The answer is still a no!" I sing to her through the door. (A/N lol I just realized I quoted the music video for "Rude" by magic not intentional) Jane has been trying to get me to go to the Grand Gala since the invites first went out. It's a ball-type thing in the city that everyone 20-40 gets invited to. It's a fun event but not my style. Coming from Massachusetts I would much rather go to a clam bake.

But anyways! I changed into my Keith t shirt and plaid pajama pants and cuddled up with Cap in my bed. We fell asleep watching the game.