The Night of the Meeting

The Hawks ended up winning, of course. Even though I'm from Massachusetts I still love the Blackhawks. I mean c'mon they have the best defenseman in the league and the four best lines of forwards, not to mention Corey Crawford. I listen to the stats, even if it means liking the damn Canadiens.

I was just finishing up making eggs when I heard a knock on my door. "Ugh, it's too early for this." I groan as I put down the pan and shut off the stove. I walk over and stand on my tip-toes so I can see who it is through the hole. I see and unfamiliar man holding a box. Eh, I'll risk it.

I open the door and the guy hands the box to me. "Package for...Elizabeth White?"

"That's me! Do I need to sign anything?" I ask. I hate signing for things. I'm always afraid that my signature is gonna get denied or something.

"Nope. Have a nice day ma'am." And he walks away down the hall. Who the hell is sending me packages? Is it around Christmas? No it's May. Is it around my birthday? No my birthday was last month. I decided to just man up and open the box.

I grab some scissors and cut the top. I open the box and see the expensive jewelry and silverware before me. Holy shit. Who is sending me this stuff? I didn't accidentally order it online did I...

Just then I see a letter in pink ink at the bottom of the box. I carefully remove the letter and begin reading.

"To Elizabeth White:
I regret to inform you that your great-grandmother, Patricia Jones, has just passed away. I am sorry for your loss but she has left you with a great deal or her most expensive belongings. She said to tell you to never stop reading and to keep living the way you want, not how your mother wants you to live. So I hereby leave you with this check for 1,200,000 American dollars, along with $700,000 worth of silverware and $1,000,000 worth of fine jewelry. Thank you."

Oh my god. I was fucking rich. Me. Liz White. A millionaire. I mean of course I was upset about my great-grandmother's passing but, shit, that's a lot of money. I dropped the letter and ran across the hall to Janie's apartment. I knocked repeatedly until her husband Mike came to the door.

"God damn Lizzie what is so important at 5:30 in the-" I cut him off with a high pitched screech.

"Mike I'm a millionaire!" I yelled at him.

"Uh what did you have for breakfast, Liz...a bowl of 'Cocoa Puffs'?" He questioned.

"Mike I'm not even kidding right now. My great-grandmother passed away-"

"Awe I'm sorry Liz!" He interrupted.

"Yeah yeah but she left me a shit ton of money!" I yelled. Just then the door to Mrs. Parkers apartment opened.

"Excuse me, Ms. White may you please lower your voice level?" She scolded me.

"Sorry Mrs. Parker." I apologized, even though I didn't mean it. She walked away muttering under her breath about us being 'inconsiderate' and other things like that.

Janie appeared in the door frame with crazy bed head and sleepy eyes. "Babe who's at the do-" she stopped and looked at me. I probably looked like I had just won the lottery, which I kinda had. "What happened to you?"

"I'm a millionaire, I'm a millionaire!" I sung.

"Yeah right, shorty what's actually going on here." She asked aggravated.

"My great-grandmother passed away and she left me with a ton of money!" I cheered.

"Seriously?!" She seemed shocked considering I kind of left my family in the dust when I moved here. I only remained contact with my brother and my great-grandmother, hence the money she left me. She always encouraged me to go places and do what I want no matter how bad my mother wanted me to be the heir to the family business.

"Dude now you can pay those bills for the store!" We both own a bookstore in the city. I guess you could say we are nerds and I'm not gonna lie I would agree with you. "This is perfect! You know what? I'm going to take you out for drinks tonight!"

"Why are you taking me out? Bitch I'm the millionaire here! Drinks on me!" We both squealed again.

***************
As I was getting dressed for our night out tonight my phone began to ring. It was my brother.

"Lizzie!" He held out the 'e'.

"Yo what's up Daniel?" I loved Daniel he's been there for me since day one. He's the only solid in my life besides Janie.

"Well I wanted to tell you that I'm coming to Chicago next week-"

"Oh my god! Danny! Why didn't you tell me?" I interrupt.

"Yo Liz let me finish, jeez. Okay so I'm going on business and I wanted to see if you wanted to go to a certain Blackhawks game..."

"Are you kidding me right now?! Of course I want to go with you!" I was now super excited. Best day ever

**********
We were out on the town looking at the next club to go into. We both don't usually drink but tonight was a celebration. Danny was coming and I was sitting on a lot of money so this was fun.

We finally decided on one and walked in. Already there were people bouncing around and having a good time. Mike and Janie took the dance floor and I headed straight to the bar. I sat down on one of the stools and ordered a beer. I wasn't into the crazy drinks or vodkas.

A guy my age sat down next to me. He looked very familiar but with all I've been drinking he could've been a dog. "Hey," he said softly, "can I buy you a drink?" Something about him was painfully familiar. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"Oh god no I've already drank too much anymore and I might throw up on that nice jacket of yours." He chuckled at that. I didn't realize I was funny, I was being honest.

"How bout I get you a water." He told the bar tender and soon enough I had a water in my hand. "What's your name." He yelled over the pounding bass in the background.

"Liz," I stated simply," how bout you pretty boy?" I don't know where all this confidence has come from, must be the damn alcohol.

"Jon," Jon....I don't think I've been on a date with a Jon yet. "So pretty boy, eh? That's a first."

"Well I mean your not ugly." I responded.

"Gee thanks," he continued " your not ugly either." He added.

"Considering your bought me a drink I would assume you had an interest in me." Oh god who was I?

"I like your confidence. Wanna come back with me to a private section with my friends?" I didn't know if I was ready to go somewhere with this kid but hell I'll go for it.

"Why not." I slammed down my glass after chugging down the water. He took my hand and I blushed. Something about his sweet attitude was...nice. Comforting.

We pulled back the curtain and I instantly recognized who I was with. Shit. I was flirting with Jonathan Toews. Jonathan sexy Toews. Jonathan superstar Toews. What was I doing? He's out of my league. I needed to leave. I needed to get out. I needed air.

"I think I'm gonna faint." And the last thing I saw was his deep brown eyes looking at me with worry.

Then it was black.