The Night of Letters

Jonathan's POV:

I was about to take the ice. Liz wasn't in the stands with my parents during warm ups. I figured she was just running late but he seat was still empty right now as the game was about to begin. Maybe she got sick last minute? Maybe she got stuck helping out at the store?

Whatever. I really needed to focus. Tonight was Game 4 of the series against the Ducks. We were tied at one game a piece. A win at home would be huge.

I looked over at Pat who was biting his nails nervously. I shot him a look that asked him what's wrong but he shrugged me off. Whatever, it's game time.

********
We won the game 5-4 and damn it was a great feeling. "Hey Peeks wanna text Amber and we can hang out with Liz back at our place?" I asked him as we walked to our cars.

"Eh I'm kinda tired tonight, Jonny. I'll take a rain check though." Patrick said to me as he got into his car.

I decided I really had no where else to go either so I called Liz. "Hey this is Liz! Leave a message or if you wanna be annoying than don't!" Every time I heard that I chuckled a little.

"Hey Lizzie Liz, it's Jonny. You weren't answering your texts and I didn't see you tonight. I um hope everything's all good at the store. Pat said you had some sort of emergency? That's all bye."

Weird. She always has her phone on her. Hm. Well I guess this store thing was pretty big. I called Janie to see what was up. "Hey Jonny! Great game tonight! You were fire out there!" Janie answered.

"Hey thanks Janie! Is the store okay?" I asked her.

"Um yeah it's fine. We didn't open today. Why? Interested in a certain book?" Didn't open? Where was Liz?

"Oh no that's okay. Just checking up you know? Okay that's all. See you around Janie." We exchanged our goodbyes and hung up. What the hell was up?

I was starting to panic. I got home a little bit after I got off of the phone. I saw Patrick and Amber at the table with...tissues? "What's wrong?"

Their faces turned white. "Um," Pat cleared his throat, "nothing. Everything's good. Just there was a, um, sad movie on. Marley and me."

Pat wasn't one to cry at movies. "Seriously Kaner what's up. I know you don't cry at movies." They looked at each other before looking back at me.

Amber inhaled, "Jon, Liz. She has a history of this. It's nothing you did. She just, she hates her past. She feels tied down by it. She can't stay in one place for a while, it's just not her. Jon it's not you really."

"Amber, I realize that. Her and I have discussed this before. What's that have anything to do with the reason your crying?" I couldn't put the pieces together.

"Jon, she left."

What? She left me? She said she wouldn't. She promised. She promised. Why? Why would she do this? She was finally...happy.

"W-why?" I stuttered to get out.

"We don't know. We think it was something to do with Chad being in the city. Amber said that she called her at like three asking about him." Patrick responded.

What was that asshole doing here? Did she go with him? "But she left you something, Jon. A letter. She told me to give it to you after the game and than left. That's who was the door earlier. If I had known I wouldn't have let her go. You know that. Don't be mad at me please I wouldn't have let her lea-"

"Pat I know it's not your fault. Even if you did stop her she would've left somehow. That's just how she is." I smiled a little at her determination. The way her tongue stuck out when she was really focused, the way her eyebrows furrowed when she didn't understand what a character did in the book. I remember everything she did so perfectly.

"Where is it."

"Jon we don't know where she went." Amber responded.

"No not Liz, where's the letter?" I asked Patrick. He pulled out 2 pieces of lined paper from his jacket pocket. I grabbed them and went to my room.

I slammed the door. I punched the wall too. I was so...confused. Why couldn't I make her happy? Was it something I did? Did she realize she still loved Chad? So many questions. I took a deep breath and opened up the first page.

"Dear Jon:

So if you're reading this than your probably extremely disappointed in me, huh Captain? Sorry to let you down. I really and truly am. Isn't this nice though? Your not held down by me! Go out and party! Have fun! Live life! Forget about me, please. Don't live your life thinking about me. The one who got away.

I'm not some big part in your life so don't pretend like I was. I was just another girl. Better yet? I was like a middle school friend who you were partners with on one science project and then never really talked to again.

Now close your eyes. Picture my face. Picture my eyes, nose, ears, hair, my stupid eyebrows that are so thin and frustrating. Picture me. Now I want you to forget about me. You have that picture in your head forever but delete the physical evidence. Don't talk to Janie or Mike or Ricky. Don't look at the selfies I took on your phone when you weren't looking.

Just forget me. I don't want to be the reason for any of your pain. I just want you to forget me. Please?

Now. I know you probably have a billion freaking questions because I know you so well and you always want long answers to every question. Okay so first question.

Why?

Well. I saw Chad today. He told me somethings that scared me. No threats nothing like that but they spooked me. Clearly I mean that's why I'm writing this goodbye letter! Next question.

Who?

Someone invited Chad to stay with them. Whoever did also invited my family. It want Amber, she wouldn't do that. I have no idea who it would be to be completely honest. Sorry I can't provide you with more clues Sherlock but I also think this is one mystery that should remain unsolved.

What?

Yeah I don't really know what the what question would be here. Sorry if you had one besides 'what the hell liz'.

When?

At about three I met Chad at Ricky's. At about 4:30 I left the apartment forever. I don't plan on going back and I told the guy there that. Cap is at Janie's. He really likes you so if you want him tell her but he's one piece of me you should probably let go too. I'm going to the airport after this so I don't know what time I'm actually leaving the city.

Where?

Classified info, Mr. Toews. Classified info.

That's all the Ws so I hope this solves some questions. Jon, I love you. Never forget that one piece. Please promise me you will find someone who can stay with you forever though. Please? I know I don't keep promises but you are one loyal son of a bitch so you probably will. I'm so sorry Jon but it was inevitable. You just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I love you, forever.

If there's one piece of me you remember? Have it be my smile. Yeah. I like my smile. I want you to keep my smile in your memory. It's a pretty great memory of me. I love to smile. Please smile for me.

If people ask about me just say we broke up. They won't believe it because your a shit liar but that's okay. Let them make up their own theories.

Don't forget that I love you, please. Because I do. Just because people leave doesn't mean they are gone.

So consider this our break up I guess. Or as Ross Gellar would say 'We are on a break' but don't let that hold you back. I love you, forever. Thanks for the good time Canada.

-Liz"

Well Liz, you didn't really like mystery books but I might actually have to read this one. And I plan on solving this puzzle before the end of the book.

I'm coming for you Elizabeth White, whether you like it or not.