The Night at Ricky's and an Unexpected Sleepover

I have to admit, it was a funny sight seeing Audis and BMWs drive into the parking lot of Ricky's. Usually we had the occasional VW and that was high class. Most people, like me, didn't own a car. It was a lot to handle in the city and I much more preferred the exercise of running or walking about.

The first people to arrive were, of course, Jon and Pat. Jon kept looking at me weird and honestly it was freaking me out. I grabbed my book and my glasses from my purse and settled down at a booth. Ricky had closed for the night so nobody would come in and disturb the boys' night of celebration.

I was currently reading The Giver for the fifth time. I didn't really like the book but I liked reading further into it than I think anybody thought of. I liked to picture what the community would look like and the characters and so on. I looked for metaphors and similes, sound devices, poetic language. I loved poetry.

I majored in English but honestly there's not much you can do with that so that's how the idea of the bookstore started. I begin to read vigorously. Taking it all in. When I felt hands reach and grab my glasses. I looked up to see Jon standing there with my glasses in hand.

"Give 'em back, Toews." I sneered.

"Not a chance, White." He challenged. This boy was not one to give up. I guess that's why he's the leader. "You are gonna have fun tonight. Relax. Chill. Your young you don't need to waste away your nights reading when you should be partying." I scoffed and look up at him. "Please. Just one dance and I'll let you go back to your little corner and sit in solitude."

"Big words for a hockey boy. Solitude. Five points to Toews for vocab. Well done. I guess that earns you a dance." I got up and he held his hand out for me to take. He led me to the dance floor where some of the wives and girlfriends were already getting down to it. They move fast.

After a couple of dances Jon finally agreed to let me go back to my corner. But I couldn't stop the smile that kept inching up my face every time he looked over my shoulder to read something or when his arm brushed mine.

**********
Ricky wanted to close down for the night. Kaner had found a girl, not surprisingly, and had brought her back to his and Jon's place. Poor kid I felt bad that he had to deal with all that. "Hey Jonnyboy wait up!" I called after him as he was about to get into his car. "So I was feeling bad about the whole 'Pat bringing that skank back to your place' kind of thing and I mean if you wanted you could stay at my place? I mean i bet you have a king size bed at your house and I mean I only have a little couch and I guess you could sleep in my bed and I could take the couch and-" he cut me off by putting a finger to my lips.

"I would love to stay at your place, Liz. Thank you for the offer." He smiled down at me. I smiled back and he drove to my place with my brother in the back seat.

When we arrived at my place, I tossed Jon some of Danny's extra clothes. They were about the same size but Danny had an inch or two on Jon. Captain took quite the liking to Jon, well after he growled at him. I swear that dog was more protective than my older brother.

So Danny took the guest bedroom after telling us 'kids to use protection and not be too loud'. We both blushed. "Would you like a cup of coffee or tea?" I ask.

"Yeah sure I'll help you though," he got up to help.

"Don't be stupid your a guest make yourself at home. The remotes right there but I have a feeling I know what your going to watch." I rolled my eyes. Obviously he wanted to watch the recap of the game tonight.

"Wow we've been friends for what a month now and you already know me so well. I'm touched Liz." He responded. There was no denying the fact that he was cocky.

I made his coffee and brought it out to him. I loved coffee. Dunkin Donuts was like my second love behind hockey. Vanilla, Caramel, black you name it, I love it.

I brought out a bunch of blankets to him after we argued about who's taking the couch and who's taking the bed. I got him some of my nicer blankets and pillows because well I'm sure he was used to like luxury super expensive stuff. He seemed satisfied enough.

Like I predicted he was watching highlights of the game. Of course they had to make a comment on the "play of the night" which just so happened to be Jonathan's give and go play which resulted in a goal for him. It was beautiful but I'm not going to add to his ego anymore than it already is now.

Without warning he threw the remote onto my lap. "Pick whatever you want because I bet you don't want to watch highlights of hockey games all night."

He was right of course but I didn't mind. I turned on Keeping Up With the Kardashians and he groaned. I laughed and my eyes were glued to the screen. Something about these people was just so intriguing.

"I don't peg you as the girl to like these shows."

"Guilty pleasure not gonna lie." I look over at him. He looked really good right now. Like stunningly natural. If that makes any sense.

Hours seemed to pass by as the two of us sat on the couch and watched endless episodes of the Kardashians and The Middle. My eyes drifted shut and I fell into a deep sleep. Jonathan's shoulder was comfy.

********
When I woke up the next day, the smell of bacon filled my nose. I was surprised to wake up in my bed considering I fell asleep on the couch. I wake up and walk into the kitchen where I hear the laugh of my brother and Jon. Good to know they are getting along.

"Oh hey Liz!" Danny says to me as I grab a piece of toast from one of the plates on the counter. There's eggs, bacon, toast, and fresh strawberries. Wow.

"Hi...who made breakfast?" I ask

"Jon did. He's a great cook try these eggs!" And he shoves the eggs in my mouth. These were heavenly. They had cheese and were droopy but not too droopy. Mmm.

"Well I have to head out to the store so I'll see you guys later? Jon you're welcome to stay as long as you want." I said to him. What? If he was gonna cook like that then he might as well stay forever.

"Actually I was just gonna go when you left." He said goodbye to Danny. Danny wiggled his eyebrows at me before we left. Damn him.