The Night of the Date

"So Liz," Jonathan started," how 'bout that date?" I looked over to see him smiling at me. He had a really nice smile.

"What about it?" I challenged.

"I was thinking I could pick you up tonight?" He asked unsure. He was fiddling with his thumbs nervously.

"That works for me. What time should I be ready?" He looked at me surprised by my answer. His eyes looked like a kid on Christmas.

"I'll pick you up at seven. Wear something casual." We reached the shop right after. "Well I guess I'll see you later then. Thanks for letting me stay the night Liz."

"It's not problem. I mean, you made me food so you can stay anytime." A way to my heart was food.

"Okay so um bye." And as I was leaving the car he kissed my cheek. I felt the redness creeping up to the spot. I got out of the car grinning.

When I walked in Janie was already behind the register. "What happened to you."

I quickly snapped back to reality. "N-nothing why?" Shit. She's gonna know something's up. I never stutter. Like ever. I think of all those years in kindergarten and first grade when all the little kids were just starting to read and I was already finishing up the Harry Potter series.

"Oh now I know something's wrong. Is it Jon?" I didn't respond,"it's Jon! It's Jon! You have feelings for him I knew it! Ha Mike owes me five bucks!"

"Okay first of all the fact that you and Mike bet on my desperateness is upsetting. Second, I do not have feelings for Jonathan. I simply enjoy his company." That was true I did enjoy his company but, having feelings for him? I don't think I have any. I haven't actually liked a guy in years.

"Well it's not like we bet a lot. And you clearly like him and he's head over heals for you! Agh this is so perfect it's like it's out of a book. 'Romeo and Juliette: The Hockey Version' I could make money off of you two."

"Let me say this again. We. As in Jon and I. Are. Not. Dating." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Okay whatever you say." She walks away with a stack of books in her arms. "Jonathan, Jonathan where art tho Jonathan?"

"Shut up!" I yell to her. Well time to open for the day.

***************
It was about twelve o'clock when three boys walk into my store. Patrick Kane. Patrick Sharp. Brent Seabrook.

"Okay Liz. Spill the beans." Kaner said to me like I was supposed to know what he was talking about.

"Kaner please specify which beans you want me to spill."

"Just tell us how you made Tazer so happy." Sharpie said to me. Why did they think it was me who made him happy?

"What makes you think I did it?" I ask.

"Well the two of you left the restaurant last night and drove to your place-"

"And he asked you on the date-"

"And he walked you to the shop today-"

"And he hasn't acted acted like this is a while-"

"And you all need to stop interrupting each other because it's pissing me off. I highly doubt he's happy because of me. He's probably still on a goal high from his goal yesterday." I say. I really hope he's not happy because of me. I can't handle a relationship. It may sound like I'm inconsiderate but I really like Jon and I don't wanna break him like I do everyone else.

"I doubt it. Goal highs only last til the next shift and then it's back to reality. Trust me I mean I get a lot of goals." Kaner added. Sharpie slapped the back of his head. "Ow! Fine. Back to what I was saying. Jonnys really happy lately and we don't want him to get hurt so we need to know if you have feelings for our boy." Well that was upfront. Do I like Jonny?

"I don't know guys, honestly. I haven't been with someone in a while so maybe. I mean after he kissed me this m-"

"HE KISSED YOU?" They all ask, including Janie. I blushed bright red.

"It was just on the cheek doesn't count."

"Counts!" Kaner yelled.

"Oh it counts sweetie!" Janie agreed.

"He likes you!" Sharpie sung.

"Get it Liz." Seabs said with a smirk.

"Oh my god guys it was just one kiss on the cheek it's really no big deal!" I silenced them.

"I can't believe he didn't tell us! Why wouldn't he tell us?" Kaner asked everyone.

"Pat he probably just wants to keep this on the down low. So don't tell him I told-" the door opened. Jonathan stepped inside with a smile on his face. Everyone turned and his smile turned into a scared face. He began to walk out the door. Seabs grabbed his collar and pulled him into the circle where we were all standing.

"So Jonnyboy when were you gonna tell us about you and Liz?" Sharpie asked him.

"Guys we aren't dating let the poor boy go!" I told them. They all oooed like fifth graders. "Oh shut up."

*************
Two hours later and I was getting ready for my date. I was honestly excited to go out with someone who I actually knew. I just hoped that this wouldn't make things awkward.

I was wearing a black infinity scarf with a maroon sweater and leggings. It was starting to warm up around here so I didn't need to bundle up too much. I don't wear makeup. I don't like touching my eyes and I've always had clear skin so that's not a problem for me. After I finish getting ready I hear a knock at the door.

"Wow you look nice. Ready to go?" I nod and grab my purse from the counter. He grabs my hand and we walk out of the apartment. I look over my shoulder as we are walking out and see Janie and Mike staring at me with love eyes.

We get into his car and drive to Millennium Park. He ran around to my side and opened the door for me. "Such a gentleman."

"Hey I try." Our fingers intertwine. "C'mon I have a surprise for you."

We walk a little further and see a picnic basket with candles lit around the sides of a blanket. I gasp. "Did you do this?" I ask him.

"Well I mean I had a little help from Sharpie's wife Abby but I mean for the most part I kinda-" I interrupted him with a kiss on the cheek. It was enough for him to stop and blush.

"It's perfect." I tell him. He motions for me to sit. We talk for what seems like minutes but actually is hours. Before I know it the park is closing.

"Well I guess we better get going. This was surprisingly fun." I tell him. He looks down at me with a smile.

"I'm glad you let me take you out Liz. I know how you don't have much luck on dates." He said to me.

"Well I feel like this is...different. A good kind of different. We already knew eachother well before hand so it wasn't awkward and you didn't just take me to Ricky's which was a good thing." We both laugh. Maybe I did like him.

"You do?" He asked. Shit I didn't mean to think out loud. "Well you did," again? Really Liz? "And I think I'm starting to like you too."

We both looked at eachother for a couple seconds. Then it just happened. We both leaned in and smashed our lips together. It was a feeling that I don't think I will ever forget. We pulled away a couple seconds later. He looked at me. I looked back at him. We both said the same thing.

"Wow."