The Night Where We Announce It

"I'm shaking." I told him.

"Don't be nervous they all already love you! If anything I think I should be nervous with Janie." He said. I laughed at that because it was true.

The day had gone by so smoothly. Customers rolled in, a new book that came out was racking up some business, and now here I am with my new boyfriend. Weird to say that.

Jon and I decided we needed to tell the boys and Janie because we didn't want to keep it a secret from them. So we were hosting a little get together at my place. I was really hoping this was going to well. Danny had left a few days ago so he wouldn't be fangirling and getting in the way.

A few knocks came from the door. "Liz!" They all chanted as I let them in. Kaner, Sharpie, Bicks, Seabs, and Duncs all head straight for the chips that I had laid out. They ruffled my hair as they passed by.

"Gee thanks for that," I said sarcastically.

Another knock at the door and Mike and Janie stood there. I don't even know why they bothered to knock they always just waltz right in. "Lizzie Liz where's the food I'm starving." Mike groaned as he pushed past me and joined the boys near the chips.

"Hey guys there's vegetables there, too." I said to them. They all turned to look at me and laugh. They muttered something about vegetables and their distaste for them.

We all sat down at the couch and began playing Mariokart. I was Toad, Jon was Luigi, Janie was Peach and Kaner was Donkey Kong because apparently he's his good luck charm. Donkey Kong wasn't so lucky because I ended up beating him and taking first place.

The pizza came and we all gathered by the table. I grabbed beers from the fridge and everyone took one. Jon cleared his throat,"I uh have an announcement." Everyone turned and looked at him."so all you boys know that I've liked Liz for a long time,"

"Yeah obviously!" Kaner interrupted causing everyone to laugh and Jon and I to blush.

"So last night I asked her out and we are officially tog-"

"YES!" Janie screamed. Wow thanks for not making me seem desperate. "Yes yes yes! Finally!" She went over and hugged Jon. The rest of the boys just awed and ruffled my hair some more. Wow they took this way better than I thought.

"Hey you've got your own boy over there!" I say to her as she releases Jon. He walks over to me and puts an arm around my shoulder. The feeling is so familiar yet so....different. It didn't feel like this last time.

"Hey are you okay?" He whispers to me.

"Yeah, yeah I'm perfect."

**************
Jon decided to stay the night and I was not in any way upset about that. But something was tugging on my heart and telling me this was going too fast. I mean we had only just met a little over a month ago and now....I don't know.

I think he could sense my worry because he pulled me to his chest and held me tight. "What's wrong, Liz?"

His concern made my heart flutter. I didn't want him to know what I thought...not yet. "Nothing it's just this seems so surreal, you know? Never in 100 years would I have pictured this."

"Well, I'm all yours." He kissed my forehead. Not long after he was fast asleep. But me? I was wide awake. I moved away from him and got out of bed. He was still asleep like a lion when I left the room. I put on my running shoes and left the building.

The colder air filled my lungs with every step I took. But I just kept running. And running. And running. Just like I always do. I run. And run. And run away from all of my problems.

I stopped and looked up. Everything around me looked unfamiliar. Damn it I should've grabbed my phone. I kept walking for a bit. I saw a person in the distance. "Excuse me!" I yelled to the person. They didn't stop. "Excuse me!" I yelled a little louder. They quickened their pace. "Hello!" They kept going until their walk turned into a run.

Well, I guess I'll just go back the way I started. I walked back until I saw the familiar glow of the United Center. I knew my way from there. I walked toward it and saw a familiar car sitting in the parking lot. I used the back entrance, which I found out is always open, and walk in.

Patrick is shooting pucks on the ice. He seems frustrated. I sit in the stands and watch him. What was he doing here at three in the morning? Why was he so angry?

After about twenty shots later I yelled down to him. "You know, I think Holtby woulda had that one!"

He looked up and tried to find the source of the voice. I made my way over to the bench. "What are you doing here, Liz? Your gonna get in trouble!"

"And your not?" I tested him. "I think I could ask you the same question."

He sighed, "The girl, the smart one I was telling you about? She found out who I was. She told me she wasn't interested in a player like me and that I needed to go. I told her I was changing but she told me people like me don't change. I needed to get my stress and anger out and instead of drinking I came here."

I was proud of him yet upset with this girl. But maybe she was right. Did people actually change? It was something I ask myself all the time. I mean I haven't changed since him I still think the same. I had to be here for Pat though.

"Pat just because that girl doesn't see you for who you actually are doesn't mean that every girl's the same. There will be a girl who comes along who will be perfect for you, I guarantee it." I bring him in for a hug.

"You know, living with three sisters you would think I would be a little bit better with girls," we laughed together.

I ran home from the UC. I knew I shouldn't hold my past against Jonathan. He had the right to know why I was so distant with guys. I just didn't know how I should tell him. It was four in the morning now.

When I walk in he's still fast asleep. I touch his shoulder and he wakes up and yawns. "Lizzieee it's so earlyyy!" I laugh at him.

"I need to tell you something very important," I tell him. He sits up and looks at me. Kinda hard for me to focus when he's shirtless. I can do this.

"So before I came to Chicago I had a pretty nice family life. I lived in a small town in Massachusetts where everyone knew who I was. I was known as Eliza because my mother decided it was an official sounding name. I hated it. But she let me be my own person. In high school I met this one guy, Chad. We instantly fell in love. People were saying we were saying we were the ultimate high school sweethearts. I didn't know what to say. My dad left my mom after I was born. My mother raised my older sister and brother as well as me all by herself. I didn't want Chad to do the same to me. I couldn't handle it. Chad proposed, Jon. He got down on one knee and in the spur of the moment I said yes. Everything was being planned so quickly. I couldn't process it all. I didn't want it. I didn't want any of it. The only person who knew this was Jane. She could sense how I felt about the whole thing. So the night before the wedding we ran. We left the town and everything in it. All of it. We grabbed our clothes and got on the next flight to Chicago. I never saw Chad again. I have an issue with commitment, Jonny. Please just I need you to promise that you won't leave me. Please."

"I would never leave you, Liz. Never."

I don't know if I could say the same.