The Night When It Becomes Official

The next morning I got up and went to work where Janie was already sitting at the counter. "Tell me everything!" She squealed.

"I don't kiss and tell Janie!" I told her and made my way to the books to organize.

"Oh my god you kissed?!" I just chuckled to myself. The kiss kept replaying in my head. His soft lips, the way his mouth lingered on mine for a little bit after. Everything was just...perfect. It's been a while since it felt like this.

The door opened revealing a very happy Patrick Kane. He moved his way over to me and picked me up and twirled me. "I don't know what this is about but if you don't put me down I think I might have to hurt you." I told him.

"Jonny told me absolutely nothing so tell me everything." He put me down and demanded.

"She didn't tell me anything either Pat." Jane said unamused with a book in her hand.

"What is up with the two of you and your secrets damn it! But hey I need a favor."

"Okay, shoot."

"I do. It's my job. Usually when I shoot I score too." He smirked. Wow talk about modest.

"Well I guess you don't need my help." I started walking away putting books back on the shelves.

"Wait! Okay so there's this girl and she's pretty smart and she thinks I'm smarter than I actually am." I laughed. Patrick was not smart, no offense to him but academics weren't for him.

"Like how smart?" I ask him.

"Well she asked if I had read this book...War and Peace? And I told her I did and then I went to look it up on Sparknotes it's a smart person book."

"So wait...you're actually here to buy a book? Oh my god Janie its happening. The apocalypse! Someone alert the authorities! One of the members of the Blackhawks is not here to torment me!" I cheer. People look at me funny but I don't care.

"Yes yes ha ha. Just give me the damn book, Whitey." I went over to the classics shelf and found the book and handed it to him.

"Yay I can't believe I get to say this. Mr. Kane, that will be $8.76 please." I jumped up and down. This was a very happy day for me.

"Yeah yeah here's your money." He handed me the money and was on his way. I was very proud of him. For someone who's been known to be a player he's really getting his act together.

***********
I sat in my bed reading when I got a text.

From Jonnyboy:P :
What are you doing at this very second?

To Jonnyboy:P :
Sitting in my bed reading y?

From Jonnyboy:P :
Good bc I'm outside your apartment so answer the door and grab a coat.

Soon enough I hear a knock at the door. There stands the one and only Jonathan Toews. "I've got a surprise for you." He says.

"Your just full of surprises aren't you Canada?" I say to him bumping into him.

"Canada? That's a new one, eh?" He bumped into me back adding extra emphases on the 'eh' to sound more Canadian.

"Yeah why not. That doesn't mean you can call me America though because that does not have a nice ring to it."

"Hmm, how 'bout Bookworm?" I laughed at that.

"Cute. I like it." I say to him

"I like you." He says and looks over at me.

"I like you, too." I say back to him. His brown eyes stare into my own.

We got into his car and drove through the city. I would point out shops to him and tell him who owned them and what they were like and who I did and didn't like. He just kept smiling. I wonder what was going on in his mind?

We pulled up to the one and only United Center. I haven't been here since the night when they beat the Bruins. Ah memories.

"My lady," he said in a British accent. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the car. We ran into the UC, me in my pajamas, him in his.

We get to the lockerrooom and he pulls out two pairs of skates. "Oh god no I haven't skated in years!" I tell him. He seems amused by that.

"Lucky for you, you have yourself an amazing teacher." He smiled. Still cocky.

"Let's go Canada." I say as I finish tying my skates. I used to be a figure skater but I didn't do much with it. My coach wanted me to compete at a higher level but I just didn't want to. I wasn't driven to the sport like I am with reading.

"Last one on the ice is a rotten egg!" He yells as he runs to the bench from the lockerroom. So professional right?

Of course I was the 'rotten egg' because I did not sprint onto the ice. He took my hand and guided me. It had been a long time since I had skated. Like Jon said, he was a good teacher.

The night ended just as quick as it started. My head was rested against his shoulder and we were hanging in the lockerroom. "Well Mr. Toews you have certainly outdone yourself. This was an excellent second date." I told him. Wow. I had actually made it to a second date. Maybe things with Jon are going better than expected.

He looked just as shocked as I was. "Well I aim to please, Ms. White." He pushed some hairs away from my face. I began to sit up. I glanced at the clock on the wall. It was almost two in the morning and I had the morning shift tomorrow.

"We should probably get going," I tell him even though I wouldn't mind sitting there for hours. He groaned and got up. The drive back to my apartment was short. It was very quiet.

When we arrived at my place Jonathan got out of his car and opened the door for me. "Thank you for tonight, Jon. Really it was lovely." I told him.

"Thanks it was really nothing." He looked at the ground. He quickly glanced up and kissed my cheek.

"You missed."

"What?"

"You missed. My lips are up here." And I pulled his face into mine. The butterflies erupted in my stomach. Kissing him was like everything I had ever wanted wrapped in one. It was soft, yet passionate. It was nice, yet desirable.

"Liz I know you don't do boyfriends or dates or whatever..." He started.

"Yes..."I tried to help him. I knew where this was going. Our foreheads were still pressed together.

"But will you be my girlfriend?" He asked. He was surprisingly nervous.

"What took you so long Canada?" I asked and then I pulled him in for another kiss.

That night I went to bed with only Jonathan Toews on my mind.