The Night of Arrivals

"C'mon Jonny just pick a god damn color." I groaned as I let my head fall into my hands.

"But there are so many different shades! You've got 'red coral', 'tandoori', 'race car stripe', it's just too hard to choose!" His eyes were wild with confusion.

"Jon," I came up from behind him and rubbed his shoulders. "It's just red. Pick a red."

"Alright, alright, let's go with 'race car stripe'." He finally settled and picked up the card. "Gosh, who knew wedding planning would be so hard?"

The planner beside us chuckled at that. "Alright now you both have your colors picked out, you have the flowers, dress, best man and maid of honor, food, cake flavor, venue, now all we need is a date and a music list."

Neither one of us had any kind of date in mind. We wanted only our good friends and our family to be there so nothing real blow out spectacular. 'Just the two of us was all we needed' Jon had said.

"I was thinking a September wedding. Before the season starts but not too near so people have time to prepare." Jon answered.

"Great! So because you are having the wedding at your lake house, Mr. Toews, we don't have to worry about reserving a date or anything so feel free to take you time and think about it."

"We will, thank you, Marcia." We both stood up and shook the woman's hand.

The ride home was filled with 'oh how bout!'s and 'no's.

"What about September 15?" He suggested. Something about that date just stuck in my head. It had a nice ring to it.

"I like it." I said quietly, while I continued to think about the big day that was inching closer and closer.

"Woah, did we actually just agree on something related to this wedding?" Jon fake acted surprised.

"Yes we did now let's get back home before Pat burns down the apartment trying to make us dinner." We laughed but when we opened the door we weren't far off.

Smoke was coming out of the oven rapidly and the fire alarm was going off however the boy was no where in sight. "Jon get the alarms, I'll fix the kitchen disaster."

I headed toward the oven when I saw him standing out of the balcony on the phone. He had the biggest grin on his face I had seen in a while. I walked toward the glass door and hid behind the curtain.

"Yeah, okay, I'll see you then I guess, okay, I can't wait, bye." His cheeks flushed a deep red once the call ended and he mumbled something I couldn't hear.

I tried to sneak away from behind the curtain but those blue eyes caught me. "Liz?"

I stopped dead in my tracks like a deer in headlights. "Uh hey Patty! I was, um, looking for my, uh, earring! Yup here it is! Thanksbye." I threw the last two words together and scurried out of the room and back to the smokey oven.

"Oh shit my chicken!" Kaner finally realized.

"Yeah your fucking chicken almost burned down the entire apartment!" Jon yelled at the boy who still had a grin on his face. "Why the hell are you so smiley?"

"Just 'cause it's a beautiful day and I love both of my friends so much!" He smiled and grabbed a Gatorade from the fridge.

"Oh?" Jon looked over at me for help but I just shrugged my shoulders, not knowing how to help the suddenly happy Patrick Kane. He hadn't been this way since before Amber left.

"Yeah," he sighed and went on his phone, scrolling through something.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him but he was in his own world. "Patrick!" I waved my hands in front of his phone.