Chapter one- Case

KANO

If there was anything that would determine the stance of her career, then it was this very moment. There it goes. The most detestable moment in the history of her career though it was just the beginning of her career. Oh, how she hated the nerve-wracking silence that engulfed the courtroom as they waited for the judge to pronounce his verdict. The judge should hurry up and pronounce his verdict already.

With this being her first case, it would be good for her records and also she didn't want to disappoint her very first client whose freedom lies in her skills as a lawyer.

She stole a glance at his family who occupied the first two rows of the gallery, and then to the judge, who was going through some files.
Judging by his rimmed glasses, she could conclude that the law really is blind.
The accused's family looked so dejected. A woman sitting amidst the group of people she recognized as the accused's family had tears cascading down her face and she did nothing to hold them back.

Guess she couldn't.

For a moment, she began to doubt her skills and knowledge as a lawyer. All the years she spent in law school and her training. All the late nights she spent studying and all the arguments and evidence she had presented in the presence of the Court of Law to prove that Mr Daniel, her client, didn't murder his business rival. She was beginning to doubt herself now. What if all the efforts she put forward weren't enough? Maybe it was selfish of her to agree to take up such a case in the first place when she knew this was her very first case as a lawyer.
She raised her gaze to meet that of the deceased's family lawyer. He had a smirk on his face.

' just wait and see how I wipe that smirk from your face.' she thought.

The sound of the judge, slamming his gavel against its block brought her out of her reverie. It signified the end of the excruciating wait. The judge cleared his throat before adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.
According to Section 319 of the Criminal Act Code in Nigeria, Mr. Daniel will be sentenced to death if he is pronounced guilty.

"By the power vested in me by the Court of Law..." The judge began. It was coming. The next sentence that comes out of the judge's mouth will determine whether someone lives or dies. She couldn't help but cup her face with her palms. 

"...I pronounce Mr.Daniel, not guilty of the murder of his business rival due to the accuracy of the pieces of evidence provided." As if that was the only go-ahead they yearned for, half of the court's population erupted into a fit of cheerful claps.

" A decision well made!" Someone shouted from the gallery. She could finally breathe.
Indeed a decision well made. She smiled when her eyes met Mr.Daniel's. He was smiling too. Of course, he should. She didn't know when tears filled her eyes. So this is what success felt like. All the hard work was worth it all. This case took her a month to get to the bottom of it and she was elated to let justice prevail.

She was walking through the corridor of the courthouse when she heard someone call her name she turned to see that it was Judge Sanusi. The judge who sat the case
She smiled at him. That man is her mentor.

"You did well in the courtroom today. I knew you would make it. Congratulations." He said to her and shook her hand professionally.
They parted ways and she headed to her car. She was going home since she had nothing to do again at work. Besides, she has to celebrate her first victory. She had to go undercover when she was passing by where Mr. Daniel was being interviewed by the media. As a famous businessman who contributed to the economy of Nigeria, he was well-known by the people. Of course, she had already exchanged pleasantries with him.