Chapter 28- Man down

Sayida glared at her friend whom she had been searching for hours now. As usual, this friend of hers was stuck in the children's ward of the hospital they both work in. She's not even a pediatrician, to begin with. However, she maintained a cordial relationship with almost every kid that gets treated in that ward. Of course, she uses her ' I'm a doctor' card to get into the place. Her fair cheeks were stained with a lipstick mark. Beside her was a girl of about five years, who was busily applying lipstick on her pouted lips.
God! Khayra and children. Just like them, she was bubbly and excited.

Sayida rolled her eyes at Khayra when she laughed at something one of the children had whispered into her ear. In her hand, she held several cards made from origami paper. If she doesn't stop cackling like a witch in front of the children, she'll get kicked out of the ward in no time__ for the umpteenth time.

The smile on Khayra's face drained as soon as her eyes met Sayida's. Judging from the way Sayida was glaring at her, she could only conclude that she was done for. Sayida who had been leaning against the door frame of the ward, straightened her posture and started to walk down the corridor.

" God! I'm dead."
Khayra said her quick goodbyes to the kids, not knowing that it would be her last. If she had any idea of what was about to unfold, she would have parted with a proper goodbye. She quickly darted after Sayida.

" Baby, you know I love you." She pointed out, her jogs gradually turning into long strides, after catching up with Sayida. Her friend's long legs were the problem.

" Abeg, don't even start." Sayida stopped in her tracks and turned to Khayra. She didn't know how her enraged expressions softened, but she found herself reciprocating Khayra's cute grin. She couldn't stay angry at her for long. " Where have you been? You know we have to start getting ready for your wedding. It's getting late already."

" I just got out of the OR with Dr. Aliyu, and I decided to pass by the children's ward." Khayra pouted and threw her free hand around Sayida's shoulder. " Let's go now, baby."

" Eh na. Let's go."

They then picked up their steps and headed towards the car park.

" You have my diary, koh?" Khayra asked.

" Yes please, Princess Diana. And I'm yet to read it."

" If you read it, I'll show you the Jeffrey Dahmer side of me." Khayra had always been so protective of that diary of hers.

Sayida's laughter echoed within the hospital's parking lot." Come and kill me."
Laughing off the joke, they both got into Khayra's car and drove off to her house, where they would be sorting things out for her upcoming wedding. Throughout the drive, Khayra succeeded in making her single friend get hit by a spell of loneliness as she spoke to Zayn on the phone. Sayida rolled her eyes at Khayra who was still engrossed in the call she was making. They had reached their destination for God's sake.

" I'm going to find myself something to eat." Sayida closed the main gate of Khayra's two-bedroom bungalow, leaving them in the confines of the house. " Come inside when you are done with your cin soyayya." She walked past Khayra and then into the bungalow. Khayra ran behind her friend after hanging up the call. She's dead meat.

After getting off the call with Zayn, not knowing it would be her last, she and Sayida immediately began to sort out her clothes for the various occasions as part of the wedding. Normally, she was supposed to be doing all of this with her family, to conform to the wedding rituals of her Palestinian background, but they wanted nothing to do with her. Looking at her, one would think that she's got no problems in life. Like, she's getting married to the Sultan's son. On the brighter side, she's found herself a good friend, an amazing spouse, and a beautiful family. That was enough for her.