Chapter 39-Broken bonds

It was recess, and there were a lot of children on the school playground at Seven Stars International Educational Centre. Some were seated in little groups, enjoying their snacks. Others were playing in their groups. The swings, seesaws, monkey bars, just name them. They were filled with mirthful kids, trying to make the most out of their recess period before getting back to class. But there he was, seated on a bench that was a few feet away from a slide, where five of his classmates in primary three tackled each other to get to climb up the short stairs first. Not that he didn't have any friends at school. He didn't feel like being with them at the moment. He had been searching for Hassan and Emraan to no avail. His eyes scanned the vast playground again. They were not in sight, and he was tired of searching. He dipped his hand into a pack of Parle C biscuits that was cradled to his chest and shoved the biscuit in his mouth, savoring the snack.

" There he is."
A voice came from behind him, and he didn't need a genius to tell him who it was. Soon enough, he felt a figure looming behind him. Maybe two. For now, they shielded him from the sun that was scorching through his uniform. He felt one of them tap his shoulder. He turned to face them. For a while, he didn't like how he seemed so small in front of them, so he got on his feet. He still didn't match their height. He was only eight, and they were thirteen.

" What do you want from me?" He asked. One of them seemed taken aback. Did they think he was a puny boy who couldn't discern between white and black?

" I told you not to tell the headteacher anything, and you went ahead to." The darker-skinned one spoke, snatching his biscuit from him.

" You were picking on that girl in my class," Zayn retorted. " Just like you are doing with me now. Give me my biscuit or I'll tell my teacher." He took another glance. They were still not in sight. Those boys were big enough to beat him up.

The other boy nudged his shoulder.

" Ah! Senior Hadi," Zayn yelled, raising his voice.
" Find something better to do."

" This boy doesn't respect, wallahi." Hadi threw at his friend. " He talks too much."

" Listen," the one who took his snack, Kareem crouched to his height. " If you do this again, we are going to whack you. We don't care if your father is going to be the emir."

He made no move to respond to the warning. His grandmother, Nana had advised him not to support bad stunts, so he would report it no matter what. He shrugged Kareem's hand from his shoulder. His eyes bore into Kareem's. He fists his hands into a ball, anger, and fear rushing through his body. They could hurt him, but he wasn't ready to back down.

" If you do it again, I'll report to the headteacher again." He wouldn't keep his mouth shut.

Hadi hit his head. " His boy is crazy."

" You are the crazy one here. The two of you."

All three of them turned to where the voice came from, only to see Hassan make his way toward them, weaving through a swarm of children.

Redemption.
Zayn breathed out.

Hassan was right beside them. He pushed Hadi away, and snatch the biscuit from Kareem. He was the one who bought it for Zayn, and he knew those two meant no good. They were in his class.
Unlike Zayn, Hassan was five years older and looked taller than his age. He was feared too.