Chapter 2- Stranger

Sultan's residence.

  Nothing could ever beat the serene atmosphere as he sat on a sofa at the sitting area in his bedroom, typing away the on the laptop that sat on the lap. He seemed deeply engrossed in the activity that the world around him had faded away, leaving him with nothing but an aura of arcane that held stories that were better off untold. Who could ever guess the tale behind Zayn-Ashraf Malik? The second son of the Emir of Kano. Clues, some has got to do with one nasty massacre in the Nigerian army. That is enough for now. Visions of pain and sorrow walled by an outward stoic expression that was held up to the world. 

He let out a relieved sigh, knowing he had just a few files to go through. He was almost done. He stretched a hand to grab the bottle of soy milk that sat on a coffee table at his left and took a refreshing sip. He set his hands back on the keyboard to continue with his work, but the door was opened almost immediately. He had his back to the door but he could already make up who it was. 

Eskander. A friend he couldn't seem to get rid of. He didn't even bother to knock.

    Eskander stood in the door frame, laughing while on a call. He would give up a million dollars to hear such good news again. He closed the door behind him and let his eyes scan the room, in search of the Zayn, and his eyes lit up the very moment he saw Zayn. 

Zayn gave him a disappointed look. What was wrong with this Eskander again? His eyes drifted from his friend who was still laughing to the MacBook that was resting on his lap. He's almost done with his work and now that he has got Eskander in his room, there was no way he's going to complete his work. If only his brother hadn't chosen to be a lawyer.

"What is it again, Eskander?" Zayn asked, setting the device aside. He found it hard to believe that this was the very man women are all over. As if he would ever give them the chance to come close to him. 

"She agreed to marry Hassan," Eskander revealed.

Zayn couldn't help but scoff. "Waiyo Allah. God have mercy on that girl's soul." Another innocent woman has fallen into Hassan's captivating 'love'.
"I've to go and meet Emraan at his office. Aren't we meeting those people today? And you are supposed to be there too." Zayn spoke, getting up.

"Sure."

Zayn lent a hand to his friend who was sitting on the carpet, sprawled on the marble floor instead of the king-sized bed in the room.
Right. Just right.

*~*

Malik's Attorneys Law Firm

Another long tiring day for Mariya.

People. So many people. She wasn't the type who likes crowded places and working at Malik's Attorneys Law Firm didn't make things easy for her at all. But that's one of the best law firms in the country and she was doing pretty well there according to records. It was bound to have people going in and out all the time during working hours.

She had a meeting with a client to which she was late. The whole day has been a mess. Winning the very case that two expert lawyers couldn't win, she has got a few people on her neck, begging her to defend them in court.

In a hurry, she bumped into someone... more like, he bumped into her and he didn't apologize. All he said was:" All these kinds of people in Kano." She wanted to let it go because she had someone waiting for her but on second thought, what did he mean by that? He thinks Kano is only for him, eh? Someone's son has crossed his limits and he is about to smell pepper.

"What do you mean by 'all these people in Kano?' Do you think your father is the Emir of Kano or what? Kaaji min magana." She voiced out. She wasn't the one to let things like that slide. His words had seeped into her soul brutally. She had been in Nigeria only for a few years and she still wasn't used to such behavior.