Chapter 48- Eyes don't lie.

In the end, the wedding festivities came to a climax. The guest departed after the party had wound down. However, the couple and their entourage were hellbent on having an after-party. So, they moved to another booked hall in the event centre to continue partying.
   At the end of the long run, they finally grew exhausted. They sat around one huge circular table, with only two chairs left unoccupied. They were meant for Fareed and Yasmeen who had been away since the first set of guests started to leave. The table was laden with all the food they had failed to eat during the main event because they opted for savouries. They chatted the time away, highlighting memorable parts of the cluster of events. From the Sa lalle to the reception.
     The couple were to leave for Maldives in a couple of hours, and they chose to spend their last hours in Nigeria with their friends.

    " Where are these two?" Emraan pointed at the empty seats around the table. " They've been gone for long."

   " I don't know," Mariya shrugged, holding a half-emptied glass of juice in hand that Zayn had insisted she drank, instead of the sparkling water she preferred.

    "Something is going on with them, and I can't quite put a finger on it." Sayida pointed out.

    " It's clear that he likes her," Fareeda added.

   " 'Like' is an understatement." Haseeb chipped in, reaching for a half-emptied bottle of champagne in front of Zayn who was seated beside him. He refilled his glass and placed it back. " He loves her. Although, she's quite indifferent about it. Such things can get scary at times." He added and took a sip from his glass, savouring the taste in his mouth.

   " I wish them all the best." That was Nazeera. "I mean, I don't think we've had enough of such events yet."

   Emraan glanced at his heavily pregnant wife who had stuck to him like a leech. Talk of not having enough parties. Quite strange coming from someone who could go into labour anytime soon. Her eagerness was admirable.

   " Talking of glad tidings," Zayn began, earning their attention. He shared a look with Mariya before picking up. "I'm very elated to share some good news with you all."

    " Is it what I think it is?" Eskander asked, raising a perfectly arched brow.

    " What do you think it is?" Zayn enquired teasingly. He couldn't help but smile.

   " Looks like I'm about to be fifty thousand naira richer." Nazeera threw at Saratu.

   " We are expecting a baby," Zayn revealed, his eyes on Mariya who had to look away from him.

     A wave of silence swept across the space, as they tried to process the revelation.

    Saratu's hands flew to her mouth, gasping hard. She just lost fifty thousand naira of her net worth. She reminded herself never to stake a bet with Nazeera. Nevertheless, she was happy for Mariya all of them were. They knew what she and Zayn had gone through following the termination of Mariya's first pregnancy. Hence, this was something that called for celebration.

    " Yaa rabbi," Emraan was just as delighted. " This is good news."

   Haseeb clapped Zayn on the back, while Eskander shot him a smile. He turned to Mariya and gave her one of his blinding smiles. " Congratulations to both of you. Being an uncle for the second is going to be more fun."

    Saratu made her way to Mariya's side and hugged her tight. Mariya allowed herself to dwell in her friend's embrace before she pulled back.
    " Ah," she let out a relieved breath, wiping her tears with a tissue Eskander had handed to her. " See how you are making me cry."