Chapter 3- Run

"You are home. That's good." Mariya's mom said when she saw her enter the hall. Her family was having lunch, so she joined. It has been long since they sat down to eat together as a family. And the food, heavenly.

"Mmm." Mariya moaned at the satisfying taste of the food.
"Foodie." Fareeda teased.

" She got that trait from you." Alhaji Farooq pointed at Fareeda who was just about to put a spoonful of the food in her mouth. She dropped the spoon on her plate immediately. Everyone else laughed at her.
"Abba!" She whined.

The rest of the time was spent filling each other in the day's events. It was one of the rare days wen Fareeda comes back to Kano to spend a few days so they made sure to relish it. 

"Mariya, if you are done eating, go and get ready. The groom and his family will be visiting soon. Wear something nice." Her mother ordered.

" Sure, Mama." Since she was done eating, she took her plate to the kitchen, washed them, and headed to her room.
She wanted to pick a dress to fit the occasion. It has been a week since she last saw him and if she's going to meet him again, she should look her best. However, she couldn't seem to find the right dress to wear. She has more clothes than she can count in her walk-in closet but she did not know which one to wear at the moment. If only Saratu was here.
Saratu Maina was her best friend since her school days. The woman had been out of Kano for two weeks and had never bothered to call her. When Mariya decides to check on her too, her phone is either switched off or she was  on another call.
She heard someone scream her name and banged her door close. Speak of the devil. The crazy girl is finally here. Mariya rushed out of the walk-in closet to meet her friend.
" Why weren't you answering my calls? I've called you more than 15 times just in a week." Mariya shot at her friend.
"Ouch." Saratu placed a hand on her chest as if hurt. When will this girl ever stop being dramatic?

" Is this how you welcome your friend?" She asked still in the act.
At this juncture, there was no hope that Saratu will ever stop being dramatic but as long Mariya was there to back her up then... Cheers! To more years of being the dramatic duo.

" Abeg stop that shakara and help me pick a dress to wear." Mariya rolled her eyes at her. " I'm going to meet him today!" She squealed and hugged her friend, totally overwhelmed by the mere thought of getting married to Hassan. Only God knew how much she had longed for such a day. It was an answered prayer.

" Remind me again that you've cleared one of the eligible bachelors in Kano off the market. I saw the Instagram post this morning."
Saratu said and showed Mariya the post she was referring to.
It was a picture of Mariya and Hassan which was clicked at a durbar during the celebration of Eid, months ago. It was captioned: 'Love is in the air.'
" Indeed."Saratu complimented, making Mariya blush.

Saratu chose a royal blue silk abaya for Mariya to wear. It was simple yet, elegant. Just right.
Saratu excused Mariya for some time to allow her to wear the dress. With the dress on, Mariya paired it with a piece of matching jewelry and hijab. She must admit, that Saratu has a good fashion sense. She then went back into her bedroom where Saratu was to show her the outfit.
" Sara, how do I look?" Mariya asked, twirling in the dress.
" He won't be able to take his eyes off you. Maa shaa Allah." She praised and diverted her gaze back to her phone, where she was scrolling through Instagram.
Mariya peeked to have a glimpse of the celebrity Saratu was drooling over again. What she saw was unexpected.
It was a picture of Zayn and Eskander, the other man she saw in Emraan's office.
" Ugh! Zayn. That arrogant brat." Mariya shuddered, remembering what had happened earlier in the day.

"Don't say that."Saratu warned." He's our prince and he's so fine. God!"

Mariya rolled her eyes. "I spoke to him today and..."