Chapter 23 - Selfish

" Daddy!" Ameer squealed in excitement and pointed to the huge entrance of Sultan's hall, drawing all attention to the entrance. All heads turned just in time, to see Emraan walk into the hall, with Eskander and Zayn in tow.
Ameer hopped off his mother's lap and dashed to his father, who scooped him up into a hug.
" That's my Ameer!" Emraan cheered through the painful impact made on his wound,due to the hug.
Eskander was quick to collect the boy from his father, as he had noticed the grimace that flashed his expression.
They walked further into the hall that was occupied by the women in their family, who had come to continue the courtesy of well-wishing.
Yes, including the ones who wished he didn't return home alive. Somehow, they had managed to put up fake smiles, which served as a sheep coating for their wolf furs.

After exchanging a few pleasantries with his family members who had come to pay him a visit, he went straight to his room to rest, just as he had been instructed by Dr. Khalid. It was crucial and much needed.
His mother, Aisha, ensured that none of the guests got access to his room.
She was on the brink of losing her son, so she wouldn't take any more risks. Only God knows what she had been through during the period of his hospitalization. She was more than grateful to have him back home, whole and hearty.

Apparently, she was seated in the women's parlour__as they liked to call it. Mariya, Yasmeen, and a few more women, including Hassan's mother, sat with her as they chatted happily while munching on some snacks. Nazeera was shamelessly stuck in her room with Emraan.

At one side of the parlour, Yasmeen was with Mariya and one of her cousins. They had secluded themselves from the elderly ladies and were having a conversation on their own. It was a debate about the best Nollywood actress. It all started as a result of a movie in which both actresses had starred.
The next advertisement that took over the huge screen of the television they had been watching was that of an upcoming charity fundraising event. It starred Zayn in one of his few visits to some orphanages. It showed when he sported a smile while talking to the little orphans, and then when he read a book to them. In general, the advertisement showcased his compassionate nature towards kids.

" Zayn has always been good with kids. I'm sure he can't wait to have his own child." One of the older women said to no one in particular as the advertisement continued.

Mariya swallowed hard. Yes, she was well aware of that fact. She had seen his relationship with Ameer and the other kids in the family. He had gotten her niece on his side when her sister had visited with the kid. These little things make her feel guilty for asking him not to consummate their marriage yet. These extremely traditional women would be shocked to the core if they were to find out. They would hail her guts__ sarcastically.
This was one of the many guilt trips, that drained her. The thought of Zayn, thwarting his desires to fulfill hers.

" Mariya," Another of the women called her and she responded curtly. " When are you going give us the good news?" She asked. " I'm sure our son is eager to hear such news. He needs an heir, you know." The woman whom she had recognized as sultan's older sister, inquired, pointing to Zayn, who at that time walked into the parlour with Ameer and another boy who was a bit older than the toddler. They were both stuffed with candies which only meant that Zayn had just completed another episode of spoiling the kids.

It only worsened things for Mariya. It only fueled her guilt. She managed to lift the corners of her lips with what seemed like a shy smile. Albeit, it didn't reach her eyes. She was in a turmoil.

" It's been months since you two got married." Another woman added more fuel to the fire." The sultanate anticipates some good news from you."

A frown dawned on Zayn's expressions, as his brain registered what the conversation was about. His eyes met Mariya's. He wondered how she was able to flash him a smile.