Chapter 43- Smiles and Tears

It was nine in the morning, and Zayn had just woken up from a nap that was very needed after fajr. He sat on the bed in the hotel room, while his head rested against the headboard. He was still fatigued.
  The previous night had been nothing but levity, nonetheless, it curbed him of sleep. It was hard to believe that an introverted person like him was involved in such a huge circle of friends. Not that he didn't like it. The most beautiful thing about them being an entity was the fact that they had each other's backs through thick and thin.
   Who wouldn't love such a sense of belonging?
   He forced himself off the bed and grabbed his phone from the night table. His left hand operated the device while his right hand was tucked in his pocket.
   A small smile made its way onto his face when he read the date on his phone. It was the 15th of October__ his birthday.
   He read a WhatsApp message from Sultan and Mama Aisha wishing him a happy birthday.
  His smile broadened.
   He exited the app and logged in to his Instagram page. It was filled with most of their events from the previous night.
   Several accounts had tagged him in posts and stories, wishing him a happy birthday.
   He delighted in it all and replied to the ones he could. However, something didn't feel right. No one in his circle had even posted him or sent him wishes through SMS. Not even one person.
    He shrugged it off after deciding not to prod over it. He placed his phone back on the table and headed into the bathroom to freshen up.
   A late breakfast was set at the rooftop, and his stomach was already crying to be saved from emptiness.
    The process of freshening up was a blur, primarily relying on muscle memory. Soon enough, he was dressed up and left for the rooftop. He didn't bother to check the adjoining rooms for them, because he deciphered that they were already at the rooftop. Even Mariya wasn't in their room when he had woken up.
   The elevator ride was short and quiet, with no one joining him on the ride. He appreciated it a lot.
   He wasn't surprised to find each of them on the rooftop, already having their breakfast. At a round table that was ladened with various kinds of delicacies. And they didn't even bother to call him.
   Eskander really tried with providing the food and accommodations.

   " Traitors," he sneered at them, taking a seat beside his brother. " You, especially."
   They laughed when he directed the last statement at Mariya.
   " Me?" She pointed a fork to herself, laughing lightly. " I just didn't want to wake you up." She defended herself, passing him a glass of water.
    He took it from her, muttering a thank you as he looked away.

  " That was personal." Nazeera chipped in.

   " Someone woke up at the wrong side of the bed today." Emraan pointed out before biting into a piece of his fried egg that was ladened on a fork.

   " He sure did," Eskander added. He pushed a plate of chicken wings to Zayn's side of the table, and then a glass of tsobo. " There you go, Maina's essence."
   He only nodded and placed his glass of water on the table.

   Why was he moody?
  He couldn't even justify it.

  What's happening? 

   Breakfast rolled by quite quickly, with his friends filling each other in on their plans for the coming week. It made him start to overthink the workloads that the coming week would bring. He remained quiet most of the time, only chipping into the discussion when needed.
   He couldn't deny the relief he felt when Mariya found his hand under the table and gave it a slight squeeze. He raised his gaze to her, only to see a soft smile etched on her face.

   If her love was an ocean, just allow him to keep sinking like a wanderer's marble. He reciprocated the smile.
  It was simply beautiful. The noise around them faded, as they were shrouded in their own bubble. A world of two.