Chapter 10-Third wheel

Zayn walked through the familiar halls of his father's palace.The very halls he had spent most his childhood wandering in.
He was on his way to Mariya's house when he received a call from his father, ordering him to report to the palace right away.
Judging from the way his talked to him on the phone,it didn't require a genius to figure out what the problem was__ definitely,his marriage.

He could hear the indistinct chatter of the members of the royal council as he neared the royal court,where most discussions regarding the Emirates takes place.

He stopped right in front of the huge door, leading to the court room. Two guards who were situated at each side of the door greeted him and he responded with a curt nod.
There's already a lot on his mind and that's all he could offer to them.
They opened the door for him and he walked in gracefully,as if he owned the place.

Well, he's the one to run the place in years to come so a little practice won't hurt.

Everyone in the court room except Sultan Lawal stood up on their feet to acknowledge Zayn's presence in the house.
Most of the members of the council were fascinated by the sudden change of events __ Zayn's sudden coronation as crown prince. Even the reason has not been disclosed to them yet.
The others quite expected it because they believed Zayn had more qualities of a true Sultan than Emraan.

" Sultan,you called." Zayn addressed his father after everyone in the court had settled down in their various seats. He was seated right beside his father.
Zayn threw a glance at the only empty seat in the room. It was meant for Emraan but he has really washed his hands from most affairs regarding the royal administration.

" I'm sure you have a hint about what this meeting is all about." Sultan directed to Zayn. Clearly,the meeting had commenced without him.

" Yes, Sultan." He said.

" Perfect!" The Jakadiya remarked.
She was one of the few women who occupied seats in the royal court,and Zayn respects her immensely." After thorough analysis with Sarauniya Aisha, we have chosen Aaliyah, Senator Sanusi's daughter as the woman who's fit for you and all of Kano,and I suggest we send a proposal to her father's house as soon as possible. What do you think,your highness?"

Zayn just stared blankly at the Jakadiya who thinks he's actually going to agree to marry Aaliyah. He's got a lot of things on his mind and getting married is the most stressful of them all.
He's been trying to avoid it for a long, though he is well aware of the fact that it's inevitable.
It's definitely is one of his duties as the crown prince to secure the sultanate with an heir even before he becomes the emir and it's high time he realizes that it can only be possible through marriage.
He should fulfill the responsibilities that comes with accepting to be the emir.
And of course, Aaliyah would be the woman in question as long as his father has left the responsibility of finding him a woman into the hands of his mother and the Jakadiya.

Spend the rest of his life with Aaliyah? No. Spare him the trouble.
He's had a bad history with Aaliyah.

" Sultan, I can't get married to Aaliyah." Zayn voiced out,much to the dismay of the royal council.
Unlike the royal who expressed their views towards Zayn's rejection of the choice made for him, Sultan Lawal just stared at his son. He knew his son still bore the loss of his late fiancee but he has agreed to become the emir and it's a must,that he considers the responsibilities that come his the title.

Why the sudden rush?Zayn wondered.

The whole court is behaving as if his father's days are numbered. His father has spoken to him about the importance of getting married as soon as possible and all but the court seems to be in too much rush. Just hoping they are not hiding anything from him.