Chapter 20- Checkmate

"... Welcome back from the break. Viewers, the next in the bulletin is rather a tragic event. It has been reported from the premises of the Sunset Mall, that the eldest son of the Emir of Kano and the CEO of the Malik's Attorneys law firm, has been allegedly shot. A tragic moment undoubtedly for the royal family of Kano. Albeit, the culprit has been arrested and is in police custody as I speak. Allah ya kawo lafiya.
   Furthermore, on the rise..."
     In a fit of anger, Hassan shut the lid of his Apple MacBook, therefore, shortening the speech of the news anchor, whose voice once filled his bedroom. He tossed the laptop aside, not seeming to care where it fell. He was frustrated that the hitman whom he had assigned couldn't do his job perfectly. Instead, he's gotten himself arrested.

     Getting up from the couch he was seated on, he fished his phone out his phone from his pocket and quickly dialed a particular number. He placed the phone near his ear, waiting for the call to get connected. Half of his problems would have disappeared if that excuse of a hitman did his job as expected of him. As far as he knew Zayn, he wouldn't let such an incident slide away. Not at all.
   Now, what if the police torture him to expose the individual who had hired him?
  That would be the end of him.

    " Boss," A voice that came from the other end of the line brought him out of his reverie. It only meant that the call has connected.

    " Come to my house. As soon as possible!"  He roared into the phone and hung up right after. He could feel his impending doom, looming over his head and he had to do something about it. Was this the reason why Zayn seemed relaxed in this unspoken banter they are engaged in? To wait for him to make a move so he can use his actions against him.
   A vivid example of a checkmate. Except that he'll find a way to get out of this trouble.
    He has underestimated Zayn again and made a blatant fool out of himself.

   Darn it!

*~*

    Nazeera occasionally glanced at the doors of the OR, where Emraan was being operated on, in hope that all this would be over soon and the doctors would file out of the room and bring her some good news.
   She can't bear to lose this husband of hers. Her world will go back to being empty. She felt a hand on her shoulder, gently patting the area. She turned to see that it was Mariya. She quickly wiped the drops of tears that had escaped her eyes, yet again. She couldn't afford to hide them anymore.

    " He's going to be alright, okay." Saratu who was seated opposite the two affirmed Nazeera. That was the least she could offer. After the incident, she decided to stay with Mariya and Nazeera at the hospital since she thought they might need some support.

   Zayn, Eskander, and Fareed had gone to the police station where the culprit was confined. A lot of formalities had to be done and they had to stand on their feet to see to it. Albeit, they've got scores to settle with the culprit.
   The toddler amongst them was sent back to the palace to his grandparents with Yasmeen, along with two guards, to ensure their security.
  Zayn had suggested that no one else should visit the hospital with the intention of coming to see Emraan until at least he's been taken out of the OR.

    " Have the doctors made any remark yet?" A voice came, snapping the ladies out of their brief reverie. They looked up to see Zayn and Eskander. This time, Fareed wasn't with them.

    "Nothing yet." It was Saratu who answered.

  He only heaved a frustrated sigh and nodded. He wondered how long it will take before the doctors conclude Emraan's condition. If not for the fact that he was battling for his life on an operation table, he would have given him an earful for jumping in front of him to take the bullet in his stead.
    Sliding both hands into his pockets, he turned away and made his way to one secluded area of the corridor and settled down on one of the metal chairs that were situated there.
  There and then, he got drowned in his thoughts, out of his world. He wondered why Emraan would jeopardize his life because of him. Did he even think about his wife and child before jumping in front of him to save him? No matter what, Emraan has to come out of that operation room alive.
  He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, while his intertwined fingers propped up his chin.