Chapter 34- Days

She was nowhere to be found in the house. Not in the kitchen making breakfast like most mornings, nor was she in the bedroom. The family lounge, the gazebo, the pool, and every nook and cranny of the entire manse. He had searched everywhere, but there was no sign of her. None of the house helps knew where she was. He had a hunch on what that might mean, but he didn't want want to ponder over it. The mere thought of it was somewhat scary.

   Fury and fear tugged at his nerves as he walked to the garage, taking long sturdy strides. He knew he would get his answers there.

   " Ranka ya dade."

  He halted in his tracks when he heard a voice address him. He turned to see the guard he had assigned to Mariya. He acknowledged the man with a subtle nod.
   " Where's my wife?" Zayn didn't hesitate to inquire.

   The guard dreaded Zayn's reaction to the answer he was about to give.   "She left with a packed suitcase last night. I deemed it inappropriate for her to leave the manse at such an hour, so I sought to accompany her. She refused my service."

   " What?!" Zayn uttered in disbelief.
" And you didn't even bother to inform me? Your carelessness won't be tolerated."

   " Pardon me, but she asked me not to inform you unless you ask." The guard justified.

   " Usman," Zayn gritted out his name, holding to his last dainty string of sanity. " Who do you work for?"

  " You."

  " Then why is this happening?" He was surprised at how his voice remained calm.

  " She asked me to let her go alone this one time. She begged me."

   Zayn resisted the itchy urge to fire his employee that very moment. The urge to yell at him, vent all his frustrations on him. Swallowing it all felt like a ball of fire coursing down his throat. He knew Mariya had always been satisfied with Usman's services, but not him giving into her wishes to such an expense. Zayn only let out a barely visible breath, nodding his head.

   " Did she take the blue Mercedes with the GPS tracker?"

  " No, she didn't take any car along." He answered disappointedly.

   " Leave my sight!" Zayn ordered.

   Why did she have to leave without informing him? He could have somehow convinced her to stay. By leaving, she would complicate things for herself, and he didn't want that for her.
  Maybe, their argument might have triggered that decision. At least, she should have thought of herself__ for once. She allegedly staged an abortion and next, she disappeared without a trace. How would that sound to anyone who hears it?

   " C'mon, Mariya."

  He fished his phone from his pocket and dialed her number for the umpteenth time. Just like before, her phone was switched off. He almost cussed. He belled Fareed, and he was just as disturbed as him. She wasn't at her parents' house, nor was she with Saratu. How was he supposed to make the issue sound plausible to the family?

  As if on cue, his phone belled, and he checked the caller's ID. It was his father. He couldn't remember the last time he dreaded his father's call. He knew he couldn't avoid it, so answering the call was his only option.

   " Salam Alaikum, Abba." Zayn greeted, and the response came through right after.  " I'm just about to leave the house. I'll be with you soon."

   " Toh, I've heard you."

  The call was brief since they had nothing jovial to talk about at that given time. After securing the manse, he made for the blue Mercedes in question and veered the car onto the road. Throughout the drive, his phone notified him of messages to the extent that he lost count of them. Most of them were from family and friends who wished him well. He appreciated it a lot. Although, he wondered how they would react when they learn of his wife's disappearance.