Chapter 4- Pure Malice

Spill all your secrets into the box of my trust and I'll cover it forever.

   Mariya condemned and cursed herself again. She's so wrong for yelling at Zayn. Especially, in the presence of Hassan but she didn't want to put her family in any danger. She could only hope that Zayn would understand her predicament and just let her be.
She felt like screaming out loud. She can't continue sobbing in her car but she doesn't want to draw any attention from her family that will eventually leave her with no option other than to tell them what transpired and she knew they would do everything in their power to make sure that Hassan is punished. That would bring her peace. As much as she wanted justice for herself, she wouldn't stake her family's well-being on that.

  And that Hassan. Is that how inhumane he can be? She can't believe she's going to marry such a man. She wondered how many women apart from her had become his victims. She felt trapped. She couldn't voice out her predicament to get justice. And the look on his face when he was threatening her... It made her shudder at the mere thought of what would happen if she went against his words. She had to fight this all alone. It was utterly disturbing. How should she go about the whole issue? She had gotten justice for someone and when it was her turn to do the same for herself, she couldn't do anything. This is not fair.
     After wiping her tears and making sure she didn't look like she was crying, she stepped out of her car and headed into the house.

   In the hallway, she bumped into her brother. Fareed wondered when his sister would open her eyes whilst walking. He was about to scold her but the look in her eyes stopped him. She looked like she had been crying.

"What happened, Mariya?" He asked, concerned. " We're you crying?"
Not wanting Fareed to delve deep into the issue, she walked past him without answering any of his questions and went to her room.
'What is wrong with her?'
Fareed knew no matter what, he had to check on her because something did seem to be out of place.

      Fareed barged into Mariya's room without any prior notice, just to find her curled up in bed, crying.
" Will you tell me what is wrong with you?" He asked her calmly.
Mariya cussed internally for being found out in her current state. There was no way she was going to tell her brother what had happened.
" No...I... I'm fine." She sniffled.

"Well, your face tells an entirely different story," Fareed said and helped her into a sitting position. He then wiped her tears with his palm and pulled her into a heartwarming hug. This simple gesture from her brother made her burst into another fresh round of tears. Her shoulders shook uncontrollably as she cried.

" Don't cry ." He cooed when her cries got a bit louder." Shhhh. Someone will hear you. This is our little secret. Tell me and I won't let anyone know about it. Everything is going to be alright."

   God forbid!

She'll never tell him. Fareed isn't the one to sit back and do nothing when he finds out what Hassan did to his sister. She would not tell him and put her family in danger.
  He, at the moment, is doing so much for her by being available and giving her a shoulder to cry on. She won't make that mistake. At this juncture, she'll just have to come up with a random false tale to assure him that she's alright. Albeit, she's not.

" Won't you tell me?" He asked again.
" I will." Her breath hitched.
"Okay, go on. But don't lie to me." He prompted.
"Sure." She nodded while he wiped her tears for her.

Welcome to the world of lies.

" It's just a case I'm handling in court. The girl got assaulted and the culprit threatened to kill her family if she testified against him in court. She told me because she trusts me but she isn't willing to testify in court. She says she feels trapped and there's no way out of her current position. I just feel for her. There seems to be no solution to this problem. She might never get justice. That's why I was crying. Don't tell me it's a stupid reason."