Chapter 33- Crossroads

To his left, was his father. On his right, was an important figure he valued a lot__ a prominent figure in the country. He walked in between them as he briefed them on the ongoing projects at the site they were strolling in.
  "This is where we are going to set up the oil refinery. In shaa Allah, it will be completed within six months." Zayn pointed to them, a bare piece of land that was purposely for production. The older men nodded in understanding.

   " Are you planning to call on
Fahad and CO. LTD for this site too?" The man to Zayn's right asked.

  " Aliko, we know better than to trust that company again." Sultan was the one who answered.

  " We've given the contract to Zayd Dantata. Your nephew did a good job with the last contract." Zayn informed them.

   Aliko smiled fondly. " It's set then. I'm looking forward to working with the royal family again." With that, the business talks came to an end. " How's my wife?" He asked, referring to Mariya. It was an inside joke between them.

  Zayn chuckled before answering.
" She's doing great. Alhamdulillah."

  " Maa shaa Allah."

   At that moment, Zayn's phone rang. He slid it out of his pocket and checked the caller's ID before sliding it back into his pocket. It was Yasmeen. Probably one of her annoying random calls.

  Only if he knew.

  She didn't stop calling, and his father urged him to pick up the call. He did as he was asked, although he didn't want to.
   His face scrunched up in worry when his sister's voice reached his ears.

" Yasmeen, why are you crying? Me ya faru?" He asked worriedly. Yasmeen wasn't speaking, and it tugged at his nerves. She was only crying. Sultan and Aliko stared at Zayn as anticipation built up in them.
It took a short while before Zayn lamented.
  " Inna lillahi wa inna lillahi raaji'oon!"
  His phone slid from his callous grip, then onto the ground. Suddenly, he felt uncomfortable in his clothing. What he had just heard couldn't be true. No.

  " Me ya faru kuma?" Sultan Lawal asked. Could things get any worse?

  " It's Mariya," He took a pause. The words felt so heavy on his tongue. " She's been admitted to a hospital. Yasmeen said she had a miscarriage."

  Of course, Yasmeen said it, but it would be hard for him to believe. He wished it was all a nightmare that he would jolt awake from.

  It was the other's turn to lament.

  " Allah ya kawo sauki," Aliko could only pray.

  " Zayn, get going now. Update me often."

  " Toh, Abba." Zayn picked up his phone from the ground. He wasted no time in getting into his car to drive to the hospital Yasmeen had told him about. The last time he had driven that fast was the day Eskander informed him of Nana's death. Tears stung his eyes, occasionally blurring his vision.
  At the hospital, it was easy to locate Mariya's ward, and it was easier to find his family members who had arrived before him. They didn't look like they carried any news to set his heart at ease. They were all seated in front of her designated ward, crowding up the place. There were several guards around to keep other people out.

  " Please tell me that they are doing just fine." He pleaded, emphasizing 'they'.It was hard to hold up his defense.

  " Unfortunately, lies don't assure eternal comfort." Mama Aisha was the one who spoke first.