Chapter 31- Halal delivery

It was Sunday, and the couple had returned to their manse. The day was fun packed as they had both their immediate family and friends around. One could mistake the gathering for a housewarming party. Maybe, it was.
Zayn was quick to inform their family about the good news. Upon hearing the news, Mariya was questioned about her master's program. She was quick to brush off the topic. That wasn't her top priority.
At the gazebo just beside the pool, Sultan, Mama Aisha, Laura, and Farooq sat conversing, catching up on each other's lives. The last time they had all met was at Nana's funeral. They didn't have time for such talks back then. Mama Aisha had a sleeping Ameer in her arms. At the pool, Zayn, Eskander, Emraan, and Fareed sat side by side, with their feet waddling in the water. They were conversing and laughing about nothing and all as they munched on snacks. Eskander and Emraan did most of the talking, and that was nothing out of the blue.

" This my brother is a legend," Emraan started on another topic. " He made sure to leave a hallmark of himself before leaving for New York."
That sent them roaring into another fit of laughter. Someone who wasn't in their circle would think they were the most unapproachable people alive.
Zayn only glared as he bit into a date. Fareed's smile lingered as he liked an Instagram story of a certain woman who had been messing with his head. He slid his phone back into his pocket and contributed to the conversation at hand.

In the family lounge of the manse, Mariya sat with Fareeda, Saratu, Yasmeen, Nazeera, and Hidaya__ a cousin to Mariya. The lounge was less spacious than the halls but it was the coziest. There were no couches__ only richly crafted Kashmiriiri carpets and a lot of cushions. The comforting fragrance of turaren wuta lingered around. A perfect Hausa traditional scenery. They decided to apply henna on their hands since they had nothing in particular to do. Hidaya, Fareeda and Yasmeen took charge, as they were experts in the art of henna design. As usual, women will always have something to talk about unless they are not on talking terms with each other.
Yasmeen's phone was notified, and she craned her neck to see what it was, as she was occupied with Mariya's henna. Her heart did a naughty flip when she saw the name attached with the notification__ Fareed Gee.
She went back to concentrating on her exquisite work.

Zainab who was now four years old walked into the lounge. She had daises beautifully tucked into her braids to form a crown. She had one in her hand too. She walked to Saratu and pecked her on both cheeks, careful not to smudge the recipient's henna.
Saratu was taken aback for a second.
" Uncle Eskander asked me to do it for him. He said he's not allowed to do it now." The girl justified shyly and tucked the flower behind Saratu's ear.

" Did he send the flower too?" Mariya asked curiously. She was ever ready to tease. The little girl nodded.

" The delivery service is five-star. Very halal." Nazeera complimented.

" Wahala for who is not courting Eskander."
Mariya went back to blowdrying her henna, well aware of Saratu's playful glare. They all burst into a fit of laughter.

" Who decorated your hair for you?" Fareeda asked her daughter who was seated beside her.

" Uncle Zayn," she replied. " He said I look very beautiful and that I'm a princess." She added, fidgeting with her fingers.

" That, you are."

" God abeg." Hidaya swooned.

After a while, they washed off the henna and prayed Maghrib together, with Sultan as their leader. They had dinner a while after. Mariya was stuffed full by her mother because Zayn had complained that she wasn't eating much. They all left for their respective homes after praying Isha. In just a day, new memories have been etched down. One that will last forever.