Chapter 44- The inevitable

The day wasn't as hectic as Mariya had anticipated, and she was appreciative. Her meeting with the partners of JD Pharmaceuticals rolled away like water. The first court hearing was in two days, and she seemed to have the upper hand. Not that she was undervaluing the other party, but the truth would always remain the same.
She walked down the corridor to her office with a blue file in her hand. She stopped by when she saw Riddhi. They conversed for a while be for she continued to stride towards her office.

She didn't expect to meet the person in her office when she got there. She gently closed the door behind her as her face split into a huge smile.

" What a pleasant surprise!"

" It is," Zayn who was seated on her swivel chair behind her desk spoke. He let her excitement rub off on him.
She made her way towards the desk and sat on the chair in front of the desk. She placed the file on the desk.
" I was at Emraan's office, and I couldn't leave without stopping by."

" Did you wait for long?" She asked and getting off her seat and making for the tea area.

" No," he replied, following suit.

He stood beside her while she boiled water in a kettle for tea.
Zayn looked at a tray that was ladened with assorted kinds of tea bags.
One can trust Mariya to keep stocking that collection.

" Let's do with-"
Zayn was cut off by the ringing on his phone. He dreaded that it was from his assistant. He wasn't planning on leaving any time soon. Nevertheless, he fished the phone out of his pocket and checked the screen, where the caller's ID was displayed.

" It's Adda Nazi," he took a few steps back and answered the call.

The news she had called to relay wasn't pleasant, and he had recognized it from her tone. She sounded shaken.

" Adda, me ya faru?" He enquired, still dreading what was to come. Mariya turned to him, registering every single crease that crossed his face while the call lasted. His free hand reached out to his neck to loosen his tie.
" What!"

Mariya's eyes widened at his exclamation. It was clear that something was wrong. What else could have gone wrong? She watched as he slid his phone back into his pocket after ending the call. He looked dejected. It was good that he decided to tell her before she could ask.

" It's Abba," he announced, reaching for the door. Mariya followed him after switching off the heater.

" What happened to Abba?" She asked, going after him.

" He had a heart attack. Luckily, Adda Nazi was home with him."

It was Mariya's turn to fret. " And where is he now?" She shut the door behind her after they had filed out. She would text Riddhi and ask her to deal with it for her.

" He's at Arzika Private Hospital." He held her hand while they reached for the elevator.
The ride was brief, and they got to the ground floor. They filed out of the foyer just in record time to see Emraan's car drive out of the premises with a crazy screech. Mariya only prayed that he wouldn't get pulled over by the police.
It was easy to find Zayn's car in the parking lot. They got in quickly and drove out of the premises.
Zayn had a thing for reckless driving whenever something came and that he needed to attend to it immediately, and that was what he was doing at the moment, he got honked at, many times, but that wasn't his problem.
He needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible. He made sure Mariya was safely strapped to her seatbelt. Albeit, he would hold his right arm in front of her body whenever he was about to take a turn and he couldn't slow down in time because of the speed he maintained.
It reminded Mariya of the day Nana died. When Eskander had phoned them and informed them of it. That was the same manner in which he had driven them to the palace.