IV. SERENDIPITOUS CIRCUMSTANCES

He knew everything

He knew everything. He knew everything in the kingdom, from his people to their lives... He knew everything. But he didn't know my father... He didn't know me.

- Memory Journal: The King's Court page 5 -

• • • ○ ○ ○

"You are funny, Ma." There is no amusement on Dal-rae's tone as she carefully studies her mother's reaction.

"Darling, I'm not joking at all." Immediately, Mrs. Han responses with her sweet smile.

"Then... It's not funny..." She mutters as she readjusts her eye glasses and refocuses on the task she has been doing.

"Baby..." Mrs. Han moves closer and sits just beside her on the couch.

"Mama... I am already thirty. Quit calling me that." She replies without looking at her mother.

"I can call you that as much as I want to. You are always my baby, unless someone calls you by that endearment."

"Ew..." She murmurs, still not leaving her sight on her tablet.

She hears her mom sighs.

"And yet again. I can't. You are just wasting your time." She says after sometime for just like always, she knows her mother won't quit if she won't give her any sound reason to.

"No. This time will be different."

Dal-rae laughs. "At the age of thirty. It would be a miracle to still find my soulmate."

"Oh. Don't say it like that. Last month, a 50..." Her mother begins.

"... 50-year-old man found his soulmate..." She continues in a teasing tone. "Maybe you forgot the woman was his long-lost friend. Basically, they met when they were teens." She interjects.

"Well... I'm sure I'm not wasting my time." Mrs. Han haughtily proclaims.

"And... how about mine?" Dal-rae asks, still busily studying the contents of the file on her tablet.

"You had the board approving your proposal already. What makes you busy nowadays?" Her mother says with so much annoyance.

Dal-rae stops writing and snaps her head towards her mother... eyes are dangerously piercing. However, the middle aged woman never meets her gaze. Not with her squinting eyes. "What are you implying? Did you have a hand over the decision?"

"Well, the final verdict was mine to take." Her mother reasons.

"Did you ever consider the others? I told you..."

"Baby... Do you ever think that others could compare?" Mrs. Han says with great pride.

She rolls her eyes. She can't believe with her mother. She always works very hard. Not because she is the daughter of the current CEO. Not because she's expected to inherit it once her mother quits the position. She just wants equality within the company, and here she is receiving the same daughter privilege once again.