Chapter 114

Yorkshire 1893, within a small town perched on the side of a hill, factories released burning smoke down by the river. In a morgue an attendant uncovered the corpse of a man who was frozen mid-scream, eyes open and staring with his skin being a bright cherry red.

"Hellfire. That's put me right off me mash. Another one." Amos complained as he stared distastefully at the body.

"Another?" Thursday questioned the man a spitting image of the cadaver but with a moustache.

"He's not the first one I've had in here looking like that. The Crimson Horror, that's what they're calling it." Amos replied

Thursday spoke derisively, "I have no interest in the deplorable excesses of the Penny Dreadfuls."

"Hey, hey. Payment in advance, flower. Taking a big risk, you see, I am. They'll have my vitals for fiddle-strings if they knew I'd let you come to look at one of their precious stiffs." Amos chided Thursday when he took a step closer.

"This stiff is my brother. I've come up from London to bring him home." Thursday spat in anger, incensed with how his brother was being referenced.

"Oh aye?" Amos questioned the two falling into discussions as a conversation continued in a very green conservatory connected to a beautiful Victorian home.

"I'm going to throttle him", Morgana grumbled from her place, ignoring the amused snort from Vastra and the giggle Jenny let off

"I'm serious!" Morgana protested, "running off like that! Without me! Fool man's probably gotten himself killed!"

"you're always threatening your husband", Vastra pointed out in amusement "and if he were in any real danger, you'd be rampaging through the town"

Morgana briefly considered arguing that point for entertainment's sake but quickly gave up, Vastra and Jenny knew her far too well after all, and she was blatantly in love with that timelord, had been for so very long now, and their love just got better day by day.

"And you've never followed through, My Lady" Jenny piped in

"Bah!" Morgana waved them off with a hand "insolent brats'"

"Isn't my mistress older than you?" Jenny threw in before bustling out of the room as the doorbell was rung

Morgana hummed thoughtfully, glancing over at the Silurian woman who arched an eyebrow back.

"Do you think you are older than I?" Morgana asked one of her oldest friends, it helped that Vastra had such a very long-life span, nothing in comparison to her Dearests or her own life span but still Vastra would be around for a long, long time. Morgana wondered whether that would make Vastra's inevitable death easier or harder to deal with...Immortality was such a heavy burden sometimes.

"I think if we got into questioning our respective ages- your Dearest husband included- we'd be here far too long. We might as well debate what came first, the chicken or the egg," Vastra replied easily

"Ah before the chicken it was the egg, and before the egg, it was the dinosaur was it not?" Morgana smirked

"Well, we would know" Vastra replied with a lighthearted chuckle as she pulled the veil over her face, just as Jenny returned with Thursday, a man who'd been investigating just as they.

"Thank you for agreeing to this meeting. I'm told you are the investigator to see if there are strange goings-on." Thursday said bowing to Vastra and Morgana who waved him away.

"Merely doing our duty" Morgana hummed dismissively, though she was unsure as to whether the man was speaking about Vastra's investigation or Morgana's own supernatural investigation, she clicked her tongue in irritation the ripper was being aggravatingly evasive.