Chapter 122

"Question." The Doctor murmured softly, not wanting to break the atmosphere as he wrote on his blackboard "Why do we talk out loud when we know we're alone?"

He moved and blew out a candle "Conjecture. Because we know we're not. Evolution perfects survival skills. There are perfect hunters."

The Doctor hummed thoughtfully as he thought back to seeing his wife hunt, she and their family were truly perfect hunters, apex predators, wolves in sheep's clothing.

"There is perfect defence." The Doctor continued his strain of thought, thinking of a shoal of dazzling tuna, a puffer fish that inflated itself so that its spines stuck out, Kol whining as he drank a mouthful of vervain water, mouth reddened as Klaus laughed vindictively in the background.

"Question. Why is there no such thing as perfect hiding? Answer. How would you know? Logically, if evolution were to perfect a creature whose primary skill was to hide from view, how could you know it existed?" The Doctor wondered putting his chalk down in an open book.

"It could be with us every second and we would never know. How would you detect it, even sense it, except in those moments when for no clear reason you choose to speak aloud? What would such a creature want? What would it do? Well? What would you do?" The Doctor asked finishing his monologue before glancing at his beautiful wife who was sitting in the captain's chair, golden eyes glowing like twin suns in the dark, he could see the hint of double fangs in her mouth, feeling a shiver of anticipation race up his spine.

"I am the perfect predator in the dark, Dearest, there's none better than I" Morgana crooned playfully, one minute sat in front of him the next she was perched on the rails behind him, hot breath fanning against his neck.

"What do you do when you're married to the apex predator? The most dangerous creature in the universe but you're scared of something else that goes bump in the night?" He murmured softly, hearts skipping several beats as sweat gathered on his palm.

"Oh, Dearest Doctor, Darling husband of mine" his wife murmured gently wrapping her arms around his neck "You let your wife slip into the dark and rip apart any threat that comes towards you. You might fear something in the dark, but I fear nothing and will never allow danger to you come close"

Morgana's devoted promise echoed around the TARDIS, a warning to whatever was frightening her husband, when The Doctor looked back the chalk was no longer where he had left it. The chalk rolled on the floor to his feet and he stooped to pick it up when he looked up the words that he'd written on the blackboard had been replaced by one word. Listen.

"I want to go poking into the dark" he whispered out, courage being bolstered by the warmth on his back, knowing his wife would shadow his steps and keep him safe. The Doctor shuddered as he felt his wife's fangs scrape against his neck.

"By your command, Dearest, I'll make the universe scream" Morgana promised darkly.

"Should we pick up Clara?" The Doctor asked thoughtfully, as he turned to pick up his wife and gently set her on the grating.

"One always needs cannon fodder," Morgana said with an impish grin.

He laughed heartily as he gently chastised her "That was mean, Sweetheart"

"Whoever assumes me to be nice is more a fool than the greatest of jesters" Morgana declared grandly.

"you're nice to me" he pointed out playfully.

"And what a sacrifice it is" she smirked before leaning forward to steal a kiss "though you make it worth it".

They had parked themselves in Clara's bedroom and the Doctor took the seat on the dressing table, happily pulling his wife into his lap as she peeked over his shoulder taking in the room.