walking glow stick

"Your eyes.. " Soobin whispered under his breath, trying to process the sight in front of him.

Kai closed his eyes once again, letting the pain penetrate his body, he fell to his knees, blocking every sound from entering his mind. unable to hear anything, He felt a hand on his back, another one on his arm, supporting him back up.

"Please, I'll do anything, I promise I'll try harder" the boy felt the syringe against his bare skin, recognizing the black serum. He'll do everything not to have it in his body again.

"We all know that's the only way, stop resisting" the boss took the chains, tightening them on the boy's wrists, enough that one wrong movement would break his skin.

The boy sobbed, unable to speak back, he knew it was a losing battle. He felt the serum injected into his body, he shot his head back, feeling every cell in his body in flames.

"It burns!" The boy screamed in agony, unleashing his singular white fang. He felt the cold sensation in the tip on his fingers, his Blue flames going out of control, freezing the chains in the process.

"It's working" one of the workers declared from the control room , looking at the boy's vitals with wide eyes "boss! Boss it's working!" The scientist cheered at the overwhelming results "this is promising boss, the closest we've gotten so far. The subject is producing more essence then we expected."

"Make. It. Stop!" The boy growled, his body reaching it's limits. Throwing up every liquid in his stomach, he fell on his side, involuntarily trembling.

"Water..." he begged "please..".
He wondered if his voice even left his mouth, if he even made sound.
Perhaps he didn't because no one answered him.

"Give him another one, this is an opportunity we can't miss"

"Hey.. hey, listen to my voice okay" Soobin took the younger into his arms. Momentarily ignoring what he saw earlier, his focus strictly on snapping the boy back into reality.

"It's hurts... it hurts" Kai muttered, keeping his eyes shut, hoping to regain back his control before he reveals himself even more.

"It hurts?.." Soobin asked, surprised by how caring his voice sounded. He took the boy closer to his arms "you can let go now, it's only us in here" he whispered, hoping that he hit the right spot. Simply taking a guess was risky but he didn't know what else to do.

"I can't hold it anymore..." the younger growled into Soobin's shirt. "Let me let go...."

"I'm not afraid, go ahead"

Kai opened his eyes, pushing Soobin away from him. He looked around frantically, getting up from his knees, unclenching his hands, letting his cold flames out. He hit the floor with his palm, freezing the dark wood in a pent up rage.

The pain was gone, every last bit of it. Instead his mind felt more at peace than even, a state of calmness he never got to experience before. The sensation at his fingers tips tingles in a satisfying manner. He smirked, creating bigger and bigger flames at his palms, letting his powers shine at their fullest.

"Kai...?" The soft voice snapped him back to his senses.

The flames faded out, so is the glow in his eyes. He turned around.

"What...?" Taehyun's voice quivered, looking at the ice covered floor.

Yeonjun and Beomgyu looked at Soobin for an explanation, questioning whether their eyes were tricking them.

"Cool..." Beomgyu said in awe "we have a walking glow stick" he laughed.

"I really don't think that's what he is Beom" Yeonjun said, still confused about the all ordeal. "I think it'll be good for everyone if we can get an explanati-"

"I don't know either" the younger confessed, perhaps this was the first time Yeonjun could hear the younger's voice clearly. "I don't know what I am either" he said, leaning against the wall, cowering away from them.

A pang of guilt in his heart as he watches the freezing floor tiles, a little more and the flames would've gotten to Soobin too. "You can leave now" his voice quivered, he shrugged at the thought of surviving alone again. It was inevitable, he told himself. After all, who would keep a monster with them?

"Why would we leave?" Beomgyu asked, looking at him with a flabbergasted expression.

"Why wouldn't you?" Kai looked just as dumbfounded. "Didn't.. you see.. what I did?"

"Oh believe me, we saw" Soobin said, keeping composed even in the presence of a supernatural. "And now that we know why they want you, it's even more clear that we can't let you be alone. You're staying with us"

"Soobin..?" Yeonjun looked at the younger, out of all people Soobin is the last one to say that. "What's the change of heart?" Yeonjun questioned, the younger rarely changed his mind, once he locked on something there was no letting go.

"Does it matter? It's what you all wanted.. he's staying" Soobin declared.

Kai looked over to Taehyun, as if his eyes were connected to the older.
Taehyun hid behind Yeonjun this entire time. The older avoided Kai's gaze. Still terrified of the overwhelming events of their evening.

"Hmm...? Taehyunnie" Kai said in a quiet voice. Calling the older for the first time. He tried his luck, going a few steps towards the older.

"Don't call me that...." the older buried his face into Yeonjun's back.

"I'm sorry.." Kai lowered his gaze, a few tears rolled on his cheeks. Taehyun is scared of him, can Kai blame him? That's what the boss said, one way or the other, he will always be a threat.

"Maybe it's best if you keep your distance from Taehyun, just for a little while" Soobin whispered to Kai "He's just a little startled"

Kai nodded, feeling his heart crack a bit. Somehow not having Taehyun's approval of him affected him more than he wanted to admit. Right now all he wanted was to go back to the warm hug they shared at the car. But now he couldn't even get close to him.

"We need to find a new place, there's one more person I couldn't find and who knows how many more they'll send in our way. We need to move fast" Soobin said, looking around the already clean apartment they worked on all day long. "What a shitty timing"

"Ahh.. so, no burgers then?" Beomgyu asked, pouting as the turn of events.

"Guess not Beom..."