desperation

"Before we start, I just want to remind that I'm in no way wishing to hurt you physically, this is simply self defense practice. If you feel too overwhelmed or scared all you need to do is tell me to stop. If you can't talk just signal me, are we clear so far?"

"Yes Hyung" the younger replied quite formally. When Kai first heard of Yeonjun's suggestion, to take lessons with Soobin, he was more or less terrified. Hurting people is the exact thing he was wishing to run away from. He never wanted to inflict pain on others, but his nature seems to feel otherwise.

"I'm going to throw small jabs at you, we'll up the pace at your comfort. Keep your hands at guard near your face and just try to avoid getting hit" Soobin shifted his stance, setting his lightweight feet at his wanted position. Waiting for the younger's signal, he started nice and slow, sending a few soft hits at the younger's direction, putting little to no power in his fists.

"Nice! Keep going" he encouraged the younger who seemed to be getting into the rhythm. "Look directly into my eyes, always look your enemy in their eyes, their eyes can tell you their next moves if they're not careful enough"

Kai did pretty well for a newbie, flinching away at first but slowly getting used to the almost calm atmosphere Soobin set for them.

"I'm going to up the speed now" Soobin sent his fist a tad more aggressively towards the younger who quickly avoided the hit, standing his ground and not letting his eyes leave the older.

"Good! You're doing so well!" Soobin patted the younger's head before continuing the rep.

"Left" he throw a punch, Kai shifted himself to the right.

"Right" he sent his fist the other direction, his eyes show pride and satisfaction as the younger avoided the second hit.

"Now faster, keep your guard, don't let your hands drift back down"

Kai fixed his posture, staring straight into Soobin's soul with determination the older has never seen in the younger before.

"One, two"

Kai ducked his head under.

"Good! One, two!"

Kai blocked the second hit with his arm, showcasing a surprising amount of strength.

"That was... very good" Soobin looked just as puzzled as Kai who was shaking his hands, before going back into his position. "Can you do it again? Block me?"

"I-i think so..."

"Okay then, hands on guard, block me. One, two!" Soobin throw his fist forcefully, making the younger stumble a few steps back as he blocked him.

"Too strong?"

"It's fine, continue" Kai stared at Soobin. His fighting spirit showing in full, something that the rest of them aren't used to seeing from the usually small, scared boy.

"Okay!" Soobin said, excited to see the younger getting into it. He sped up.

"One, two. One two three. Block, on guard. One, two!" This time he hit while stepping close to Kai, who in response shifted his stance accordingly.

"Keep your hands close! Left!" They circled around, Soobin getting closer and Kai changing his stance again.

"Again!"

"Again! Hit him!"

"Good! You're doing great kai-ah!"

"Stop whining like a fucking bitch, you deserve it"

"Again! Kai-ah You're not focused, hands near your cheeks. One, two!"

"Get up!.. I said get up!"

"Block me!"

"Again"

"Sir he's already half conscious, maybe we should stop"

"He disobeyed direct orders!" He screamed at the hesitant guard.

Kai's body twitched on the floor, trying to gasp for a few ounces of air.

"Sir, it's really not that big of a deal"

"Hey!" The boss nudged the laying boy with the electric stick. Poking at the younger's chest "HEY! do you think you've earned the right to faint on us?"

The boy groaned weakly, unable to speak any words, he knew losing consciousness would get him double the punishment.

"Again"

The guard took the stick reluctantly, turning it on to shock the boy.

"What was rule number 1?"

Kai opened his mouth to answer but no sound was coming out.

"Again!", "what was rule number 1?!"

"Whoa! , are you alright?" Soobin instantly felt guilty for putting so much force into his punches despite working with a newbie.

"I'm fine" Kai said, wiping the blood off his lips.

"Sure?"

The younger nodded, going into position again, but instead of throwing jabs, Soobin hugged the boy, patting him slowly on his back.

"I'm sorry, we should call it for today"

"Okay..." Kai reciprocated the hug.

"You did well, I should've been easier on you" Soobin pulled away, examining the cut on the younger's lip. "Come on, let's put some ointment on that and get you some rest"

............

"We should let him sleep for a while, he's exhausted" Soobin said, lifting the sleeping boy in his arms.

"What happened? Rough practice" Yeonjun came over to lay Kai on the sleeping bag, getting him ready for a long noon nap.

"I hit him too hard by accident, he fell asleep while I treated his cut"

"Oh... so I guess you won't train him again.." Yeonjun said, quite disappointed that it didn't work out.

"Actually, we had a good rep. Maybe too good for Someone like Kai. He.... has potential..." Soobin recalled that younger's fierce eyes, how he blocked Soobin's blow strong enough to make Soobin lose a bit of his balance.

"You look proud" Yeonjun laughed.

"Well, it's been a long time since I had such intense practice... I've been meaning to take it slow but he seemed to be catching up quickly. He reminded me of you when you first started"

"Really?" Yeonjun came closer, casually hugging Soobin as they continued their conversation " he reminded you of me?"

"Yeah, it was weird. He started pretty scared but as we got faster he... he was totally into it. He had the same look you had"

"What look?"

"Desperation"

...............

Taehyun sat on the ground, waiting for his Hyungs to finish preparing lunch. Maybe now it's a good time..?
He thought of the best way to approach Soobin with his rather crazy idea.

The younger stroked Kai's hair who was sleeping peacefully on the sleeping bag. Taehyun looked down at the boy, tracing his fingers on Kai's under eye scar, wondering If the old wound still hurts him.

"Soobin Hyung?"

"Hmm Taehyunnie? What is it?" Soobin unwrapped the triangle Kimbap, shoving it towards Taehyun. "Eat!"

"Thanks Hyung"

"Did you want to tell me something?" Soobin asked, giving Beomgyu the same snack.

It's now or never

"I think we should go back to Seoul"

.......................
Author's note

Holla bitches, I'm currently dead, 6 feet under the ground. Why? Because txt decided to put on the best concept trailer the world has seen.

Beomgyu is out for all of us this comeback and I'm scared for my non existent bias list.