plan B

"Lower him down" the boss signaled to the guard and the chains lowered slowly, releasing the tension in Kai's shoulder and allowing his knees to fall to the ground. the boy exhaled in relief as his body loosens up from the tightness of his muscles. 

The boss walked to Kai and smiled at the sight of the boy.

"What do we say?" He asked.

There was no response.

"001!" He yelled, getting Kai's attention at once. "What do we say?!"

"T-thank y-you...." Kai's words slurred and he bowed down as much as the chains allowed him.

"Kang Taehyun-shii, is that correct?" The boss asked and approached the pole Taehyun was cuffed to.

He got a glare as a response.

"It's very disrespectful to ignore your elderly" he said.

Taehyun scuffed in disbelief. After everything this man has done to Kai he's asking for respect?

"Fuck off" Taehyun spat, a bit surprised by the amount of confidence he had in front of the man, usually he'd crumble in tears by now, and wait for Soobin to take the lead.

the boss only smiled in return, taking off the lab gloves he had on and indulging in the silent stare Taehyun gave him before speaking again.

"I need your help boy, what do you say?" he asked while grinning creepily, his smile causing a wave of uneasiness in Taehyun's body.

he saw in the corner of his eye the tube that was inserted into Kai's collarbone and couldn't help wondering what the hell they were trying to achieve with that serum. all it seemed to do was Pain Kai, but nothing else happened. were they trying to get something out of his body? his blood? something was obviously not working for them. what do they wish to accomplish?

"why should I help you?" Taehyun tried sounding cold, but his voice shook slightly. he couldn't help being a bit afraid, a lot afraid. especially when the boss staring at him so intently.

"you kidnapped me and my friends. you shot Soobin..... and now you're.." he couldn't bring himself to say the rest, to admit how much it hurt him to see them treat Kai like a rag doll. to admit how it teared him inside to see the sweetest soul he's ever met scream in agony like that. to admit how much it scared him to think that maybe this is the end of the road for them after all, and he'd never get to hold Kai like he so desperately wanted to right now. wake up with him every morning, care for him and love him like his heart yearned to. 

"Don't want to cooperate? that's fine I guess" the boss shrugged his shoulders. "lift him up fellas" he signaled his team and turned over to Taehyun again "we're going for a fifth round"

"NO!" Taehyun yelled when the Kai's chains lifted again. the boss smirked and the chains stopped.

he can't go through that again. he can't hear anymore of Kai's screams. he can't let them hurt him again.

"I'll do it- I'll help! just.... just put him down...please.."

..............

the room was dead silent, apart from Yeonjun sniffles here and there, his head rested on his knees and he wiped his tears for the 3rd time in the last few minutes. he felt numb, yet his heart burned in his chest, regret washed over him when he convinced himself he should have been the one taking the bullet, it should have been him. 

Soobin's gone to sleep a while ago, his face paling by the second, but Yeonjun couldn't bring himself to take another look at the younger before they said their words, and parted ways.