encounter

"Fine...." Soobin caved in.

The officer's eyes widened, not having expected the younger to cooperate.

"So, where are your friends?"

"North route, on fifth Avenue, there's an abounded building, know it?"

The officer nodded excitedly.

"There's a key there, to an apartment down at the docs near 8th street, if you walk there, there's an old man that'll give you the address"

..

"Are you kidding me?" The officer snapped.

"Yes. Obviously."

The officer stood up, kicking his chair.

He took the water glass, throwing it over Soobin's face in a momentary rage.

"Oh wow..." Soobin mumbled "cat's out of the bag now huh?"

The officer took a fistful of Soobin's collar, yanking him forward.

"This isn't fucking over, I will keep you here for as many hours as needed"

"Sounds great, see you in an hour"

..........

"Do you know why I'm scared of you?" Kai said whilst Soobin reminisced on his past.

Soobin lowered his head, his shameful past hovering above him.

"Because I know I can never be like you" the younger spoke quietly, a sad smile on his face.
"I don't know you very well Hyung, and I am a little wary of you. But at the same time.... I admire you."

Soobin blinked his tears away, looking at the younger with confusion and astonishment.

"You're strong, and brave..- don't cry Hyung" Kai spoke. Hesitant to reach his hand, he shakily wiped Soobin's tear away and leaned back onto his shoulder.

Looking at the bumpy ground, he searched for a way to articulate his feelings into words. Years of social interaction taken away from him, he struggled with showing his gratitude.

After all, he had nothing to be grateful for until he met this wonderful, albeit strange group of boys.

A faint laugh escaped his lips as he was looking for words to say.

"Hyung...." he said after a while.

Soobin hummed quietly, he too was out of words. Or maybe he had too much to say.

The older looked at Kai who was resting peacefully on his shoulder, his face finally somewhat relaxed.

Amidst the constant worry Soobin was in, Seeing the younger go from the way he was when they first met him, to how he is now, he felt happy. Soobin realized in that second that he will never let anyone touch the poor baby, ever again. The same protective instinct he felt for his friends bloomed inside of him the minute they found Kai in that old warehouse.

He just didn't want to admit it.

"Thank you Hyung" Kai's voice broke, his slightly less slander arms wrapping around the older's waist.

"I hope to be like you one day...." the younger whispered to his chest.

And with those few words, Soobin crumbled down, Sobbing loudly over the sincerity coating the younger's each word.

"Shhh... Hyung, it's okay" Kai rubbed the older's stomach, trying to mimic the way Taehyun and Beomgyu calmed him down whenever he was in distress.

He didn't know whether it was working or not, but he tried.