The Amazingly Awesome Grace

A few times a guy has come in to train at Kim's school and gave me sideeye because I happen to be a woman. None of them has made a big deal out of it, but they're are not happy to pay their money and get stuck with me.

Today one of these guys did have a problem. A dude came in who had to have been a solid 6'6, gassed to the rafters. He would have had a great look if he didn't have a stupid ratty man-braid down to his ass. Or maybe not. Some big guys can never manage to look good. Donovan Dijack or Mark Jindrak for example are never going to look good. They're goofy. Even without the braid this guy might have been Dijack-Jindrak.

When he saw me, I could tell was praying I wasn't a trainer. When I told him I'd be working with him, he said he didn't pay money to be trained by no skirt. He actually called me a skirt. Maybe he's a time traveler. I wanted to tell him "fine, there's the door, no refunds" but I didn't want to let Kim down. Instead of doing that, I said that Evan would be doing the real training and I was just there to help out. It galled me to be placating this moron.

Didn't make a difference, he still pitched a fit. One of the trainees that they call Club for reasons I don't know came over and said he'd work with the new guy until Evan got there. Braid boy didn't make it until lunch. I'd like to say that Club was busting this guy's ass because he was a jerk to me, but that wasn't the case. It was just the normal weeding out process.

Wrestlers like to talk up how there's being in shape and then there's being in ring shape. Since wrestlers are all liars and bullshitters, I never really believed that until I started working here at Kim's school. Turns out there's something there. I think the MMA guys call it the difference between being in shape and being in condition.

Setting aside the dreamers who are in no kind of shape to do anything athletic, there are still a lot of guys that come in that you know can't hack it. They look great walking around but they never heard the word cardio. Look at real fighters in combat sports, they're lean.

Every now and then a guy comes in who's fresh off getting cut from an NFL practice squad, or a college star with an injury, who wants to give wrestling a try. Most of them don't make it a day.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can hack it so I must be awesome.

Comments (8) | Leave a comment | Like | Share | Report this Post