1:3

"Are you kidding me? Do you really think this is the best time to have people sniffing around here?" I whisper yell at Cameron.

This isn't even one fraction of all of the questions I want to ask him. Knowing me once I start I won't ever be able to stop. If the dull look on his face is any indication of what his answers may be then I might actually murder him. Absolutely under no circumstances can I get blood on my new pantsuit. Neither can I risk any murder charges when I am so close to reaching my goals.

"Lennie, relax. You're the best at what you do. I have no worries." He pats me on the shoulder as if this conversation is about what we should eat for dinner. Days like these make me want to go full Britney Spears. Shaved head and all.

Never has he ever taken any accountability for his actions. At this point I doubt he even knows how to. Publicly he is the face of civility. Privately he is the number one rider on the hot mess express. For once I wish he would use some logic at the very least to understand what a total disaster that could have been.

Everything we have put at risk for this campaign to go well almost blew up right in front of our faces. Long hours on the campaign trail, lobbying for votes, and restless nights would mean absolutely nothing. Many of Cameron's staff say I'm a paranoid cynic, while that is likely true it is also my job to be that way. Quite literally I am paid to worry about such things. Even if it weren't the weighted guilt would throw me into obsessive angst.

I can't believe the buffoon has the nerve to be so lax. That should be relatively impossible seeing as not only does he have a campaign to worry about. That coupled with keeping his sordid past from the public. Cameron Dane should have a mansion full of worry.

Charming the public is easy. In my sleep I could make the world fall in love with Cameron. Presenting a dashing smile with a sparkling family did wonders to watchful eyes. It's keeping that affection that is difficult. Appearances are a deceitful bastard, something Cameron has forgotten. This beautiful lie we have the world believing in could be wiped away all with one mistake.

Of course the smug asshole is just brushing it off as if it is nothing. Mommy and daddy will always make these things disappear by way of me. From the time I started my career he has always been a steady client that caused me the most grief. The only reason I'm helping Cameron is because he has been a friend for a long time and our parents are big supporters of one another.

His father wrote me letters of recommendations to not only undergrad but graduate school. When my brother Keith decided he wanted to go into politics he let him intern at his office. Our families held loyal ties.

Each day that passes by makes me reconsider managing the mess Cameron has found himself in. I wanted to help and simply move on to the next part of my life already, but it seems once again Cameron is causing more trouble for me. I didn't have the luxury of just leaving that would only worsen my situation. My reputation would suffer as would my family's relationship with the Dane's.

Our years of friendship couldn't even temper the anger raised by his recklessness. No, his carelessness. Being reckless implies you understand there's a level of risk involved. Treating him with kid gloves never was my thing. My clients are adults who made adult decisions that landed them in their messes. I shouldn't be burdened with the extra work of treating them like children in time out. With Cameron I may have to make an exception to my rule. Adjusting the dynamics between us may be the only way either of us survive. Because this isn't just about a little campaign, it's so much more.

My heart literally plummeted to my ass at seeing the Bianchi family. Introducing us was completely unnecessary on my end seeing as the whole state knows the Bianchi's. You would have to live under a rock not to. Very few people hold notorious reputations such as them. Everyone knows who they are. Really I could have attacked Cameron where he stood when I realized who those men were.