1:23

Sometimes I think my life would have been better somewhere else. Maybe Connecticut or Maryland. Anywhere away from here. Maybe then I wouldn't be so jaded. I imagine myself becoming a law professor. That's always been a secret thought I've kept to myself. This morning instead of dreaming of a life in Greenwich or Potomac I felt at peace right in Glensdale New York. Tangled in Fabian's sheets is a leisure that I crave to hold on to. The sun kissing my skin was a reality I didn't want to leave.

Last night Fabian did things that I never even knew were possible. His passion was an electric current that brought about my own. He was never satisfied until he left me a whimpering mess. The two of us together are a chasm of never ending angst. All night he took care of me, showering me, feeding me, and tucking me into bed never to leave my side until morning. The walls that I had worked so hard to build against him had been knocked down brick by brick until there was nothing left.

I knew I was done fighting when he kissed me right outside of my office door. The kiss confirmed everything I had been thinking about myself and him. Now I am a goner, in the deep end without a life vest or even a floatie to keep me up.

It's more than worth it.

"Lennox you have a walk in." Eleanor calls in. "Send them right in. Who is it?"

"Rebecca...Cheyney." What. The. Actual. Fu- "She is on her way up." A knock on the door has me hanging up the phone quickly. I adjust my Gucci sweater dress. This encounter is throwing me for a complete loop.

Opening the door I come face to face with a woman who I have not seen in close to three months. Rebecca fucking Cheyeney, also known as Jackson Dane's executive assistant. It was as if she disappeared off the face of the earth one day. Jackson didn't seem too bothered by the whole thing which was sketchy in itself. Out of everyone on this Earth, the first Mrs.Dane included, this is the one woman who knows all of his dirty little secrets. Pressuring him about the situation at such a sensitive time with the Golden Maison fiasco happening, and finding a campaign backing wasn't smart. So I never asked, not that I even had the time to interrogate him on something that had nothing to do with me. Look how wrong that was.

"Lennox." My name is loaded coming off her tongue. It feels like she's signing my death certificate by saying it. I motion for her to come inside my office to which she follows.

"Rebecca. I have to say I am very surprised to see you here." Charisma, chivalry, customer service or whatever you would call it is long gone. An impending feeling of doom pushes down on my body like weights. Her light laugh does nothing to soothe the pain if anything it amplifies it.

"I can't say that I planned this I-." She shifts uncomfortably. It's clear all of this is difficult for her but I do not know what she could possibly be even doing here. I mean she dropped off the face of the earth and showed up on my doorstep. "You need to leave the Dane's alone."

I've said it once and I will say it again. Why must my life be the one with all the difficulties and complications? Lightly I laugh testing the waters. Maybe this is a joke to break the ice?

"Why do you do this?" She asks the same question I do most days. Everytime I try to answer I come up with more confusion. There are a million reasons why I do this, not just this job, no. If it were just that then I would have left a lifetime ago. Ego, pride, ambition. Those are factors too. Just as much of what would happen if I didn't. If I stopped without fulfilling this for Jackson Dane, there's a threat to not just me but the people in my life.

Sitting in my office chair I make no move to answer her. I'll let her tire herself out a bit first, then I'll suck my teeth into her. Defending myself is the only way to get through until Cameron is elected. Until then I would do whatever is necessary without any apologies.