1:10

I tried to forget that night

I tried to forget that night. How patient the giant of a man had been with me. How he has always been with me. Easier said than done has never been a truer phrase than right now.

Thinking of the way his arm wrapped around me. I wanted to burrow deeper and closer to him, not that our bodies could touch any closer.

That night I was ready to spill all of my guts to him. I've already exposed so much of myself to him, it felt like the right thing to do. If I told him my secrets, well maybe I could learn some of his. A man like him had to have secrets, that's clear.

Could they rival mine?

When his face was in such close proximity to mine I prepared for everything to come tumbling from my mouth. Rico's interruption made it impossible. Once he appeared I knew the moment was over. The fire, heat, and chemistry was still there. Confession time was the only thing that passed. And I'm grateful for it.

Realizing how close I had been to confessing my sins to this man I barely knew sobered me. Clarity confirmed that I needed to get out of this mess as unscathed as possible. That would never happen if he and I had another moment like that.

The universe must have agreed with my sentiments as the rain sloshed from the sky. When I  left my apartment this morning there was no indication of poor weather. Even for October the weather had been crisp, clear, and as clean as New York would ever be. The moment my mind veered to the one and only Fabian the rainstorm swooped in and has not settled since.

Curse him.  He's no good for me...or my hair.

"Lennox," Angelo approaches me. A shiny umbrella covering his blonde hair. "what are you doing in this rain?" He pulls me gently under the umbrella. "You know Fabian would kill you if he knew you were purposely getting yourself sick to avoid work."

"I am not," I tug the umbrella to my side, rolling my eyes at his smirk. "If you and your nosy overlord must know, I am ordering a ride." Snatching my phone he cancels the ride and clears out my rideshare.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" My hands flail trying to get my phone from him. Somehow he manages to balance the umbrella while keeping my phone from me.

"I'll give you a ride home, Lennox." He starts walking off toward the garage. I briskly walk trying to keep up with him, the umbrella, and my phone.

"Angelo, you really don't have to." Out of breath I reach up to him, shaking as much rain off of me as possible. "You've already come this far. My overlord would not approve of me leaving you like this." The sarcasm is not lost on me even though he smiles.

He was right, waiting for another ride would take fifteen minutes at the very least. It's prime commute time right now. Unfortunately for me my home was not close enough to walk and my mind could not handle taking the subway.