1:25

"Stop fidgeting and frowning. If you keep it up you'll have lines and wrinkles by the time you're thirty-five." Handing me a glass of champagne mom gives me a bright smile. Part of me craves the comfort it brings while the other resents it. How could something feel so good from someone who has hurt me time and time again. My stomach twists with each new feeling filling my heart. Things have been good, too good between her and I. I can't help but wait for the left shoe to drop. Cynicism is a part-time job for me because of all the eggshells I had to walk over with her. With Chanel Klein I never know, I used to but that was so long ago it feels like a fever dream. Questioning her intentions made it easier to accept her transgressions against me. It made me feel like the bigger person. Like I was right and because of that I could swallow her cruelty. That's exactly what it is, cruel. Cruel to deny a child who only wants you any access at all.

The doorbell rings right at seven o'clock. I knew he'd be here, punctually, but still the ring made me jump up with a new bundle of nerves. No man has ever met my family so quickly. Yet here he is. I wouldn't verbally admit it but I want him here. Since inviting him I've imagined how he would fit here. Watching football with my father, or having tea with my mom. Images of him in this space came so vividly it felt as if it had happened before.

"I'll get the door." My father gives me a quick nod before going to the front door. My hands run over my pants leg smoothing out the fine material. Even though I shouldn't be, I can feel myself heating up.

"Hey," Mom slaps my hand away from pulling on the knit sweater. If looks could kill I would surely be dead. "This is Givenchy Lennox. Not a five dollar sweater from K-Mart." My eyes roll at her. "Listen, there's nothing to worry about. That man is completely enamored with you. Now, relax, drink wine." I guess she doesn't want me messing up her opportunity to get me settled down. Stop thinking negative thoughts about your mom Lennox. Following her words I sip a glass of whatever red wine she has poured for this evening. After the first sip appears Fabian. Like the wind he has rushed in with no warning to my heart making it beat faster than ever. Gray slacks have never looked so good on a person. Perfectly tailored he slips off his suit jacket that my mother takes for him.

"Lennox." He walks over and kisses my hand gently. Our eyes meet and I can see longing in his eyes."You look beautiful this evening."

"I always look beautiful." The words are distractedly said. My mind is too focused on the after effects of his kiss. It's knocking me off kilter, distracting me from the movement, voices, and anything else around us. I've never felt that with anyone else. Everytime he kisses me no matter how chaste it feels like it may be the last one. He savors the feel of my skin the same way I do.

"Take a seat, dinner will be out shortly." Mom gently smiles at Fabian before my father pulls out a chair for her. Fabian does the same for me. I'm not fooled by his gentleman ways. I still remember how only mere weeks ago he was tricking me into having dinner with his family. Did he want me back at that time or was it just business?

"Fabian, thank you for joining us for dinner tonight. And also getting my darling Lennox home safely the other night." My mother always had a way of making her guests feel wistful. She could make anyone seem dreamy so it's no surprise that she does the same with Fabian. Only this time it doesn't just affect him but me too. How could it not? I'm not oblivious of all he has done for me. All of the concern he's shown me. The care he takes when dealing with me and his family. Meeting a man like him isn't an everyday occurrence.

"Thank you for trusting me with her." Even though he's replying to my mother he looks at me as if he's speaking into my soul. "She's too precious to be in just anyone's care."

"My baby girl is the most precious thing on this earth." If my skin wasn't as melanated as it is I would be pink all over. I'm not even going to protest my father's words as it would fall on deaf ears. According to him I'll always be his babygirl. His one and only. "Young man, tell me what made you get into the real estate business?"