1:5

"No mother, I have not forgotten about the High Tea today. Yes I got my hair done--why does it matter if I got a bikini wax?" Chanel Klein is at it again.

Telling her I would be in attendance for the High Tea she is hosting is not satisfying enough. Nothing ever is. Everything with her had to be calculated, controlled. God forbid I didn't wear a preapproved color, that would ruin the entire event. Pigs would fly and blood would rain from the sky, let her tell it. Pleasing her is impossible no matter what I did she would be insufferable.

A playlist plays in the background while I figure out what I possibly could wear. If I wasn't in attendance I'm sure my mother would blast me to the entire state of New York. Apparently it is to be one of the 'social gatherings of the season.' Who the hell even has a tea party in October anyways? Chanel Klein, that's freaking who.

There are so many other ways I would rather spend my Saturday instead. Yet here I am pulling rollers out of my hair. My dark hair is pushed into a curly updo with two curly strands in the front. My makeup is "light glam", as described by the Youtube video I watched.

I have just added the remaining accessories to my outfit. I prayed my mother would approve of the strapless pink crepe ruched dress. It went a little past my knees and had the perfect amount of elegance and sophistication. To up the ante I wore matching shoes with pearls on them. How could she ever deny this outfit? If there is a way Chanel Klein would find it.

Deciding to Uber to avoid parking on the busy street I grab my purse and wait for my ride. The event is only fifteen minutes away and my driver made a point of not speaking which, well, works out for me. As soon as I stepped out of the car he sped off. Almost taking my pearls with him. Five stars my ass he is only getting three.

Pure white and gold are the color schemes. The ballroom ceiling and walls are all made of glass; it resembles an indoor green room. For October the weather is warmer than usual.

Sunshine beams from the roof giving new light to all of the flowers. For the first time in so long I breathe in with a calming relief. Peace. Today there are no expectations of what I should be doing or who I am. Today I get to enjoy all of the little things I sacrifice every other day.

Appreciation floods me, for the sun kissing my skin, for the bright colors, hell for all of the chatter around me. Not the whispers and evil eyes I get on a day to day basis. For some I'm a saint. To others I am the villain out to ruin them. Here and now I'm just Lennox. The woman who loves late movie nights on my couch with wine. Not the impenetrable force that the world sees.

I smile taking in the sight around me. My mother may be a pain in the ass but she has always been the perfect host in style and in service. Tea and mimosa bars, chocolate fountains, and pastel macaroons.

Walking through the reinvented ballroom I pick at a pink peony. Instead of mingling as my mother would have it I opt to peek at everyone who is here. People watching is a habit of mine. Guilty pleasure rather. On my right in between flower petals I can see Archer Blackwell secretly arguing with his mother from a corner. On my left I see Lila Childs discreetly dump her glass of champagne in a flower pot. Real classy Lila.

People watching allows me to take in the secrets people wish to hold. A person can only hold a facade for so long. Gleaning on others' lives makes it easier to ignore my own reality.

To moms' credit this is the social event of the season. She made absolutely sure of that. Everyone who was absolutely anyone is here. Lawyers, doctors, cosmetologists, designers, she even has a duchess here. I think I may have just even seen a Real Housewife.

Walking up to me with a glass of champagne in her hand my mother smiles at me."I'm assuming you approve of the venue?" I nod my head not having a bad word to say about the event at all. "Now you'll let me plan your wedding huh?" She winks pulling me to a circular table. "This is where you'll be seated. Okay got to go." Weird.