1:17

Like Spiderman I have an intuition when things are wrong or will go terribly wrong

Like Spiderman I have an intuition when things are wrong or will go terribly wrong. Most of the time my "spidey senses" are correct and right now they are telling me something is wrong.

"Lennox? Are you listening to me?" Cameron waves his hand in my face which I gladly slap away.

"I'm fine just thinking, maybe you should try it sometime."

We have been at it for almost a good hour and still my skin is tingling with premonition. It started the second I stepped into my office building. Nothing seemed different but it felt like unknown territory. "Read it one more time, it needs to be convincing while also seeming sincere."

"Lennox you stress way too much. It will be fine. We have practiced so many times I'm scared this next one I might bite my tongue." He throws the marked paper on my desk. "Soooo you and Fabian, I did not expect that on my bingo card this year."

Here he goes, I knew it would only be a matter of time before the subject would come up. "You should focus more on your address at the gala tonight rather than...that." I stand to place the files away, circling behind his chair.

"Oh Lennox don't be such a hoarder, give me the deets." I walk behind his chair pushing it forward so that he falls right onto his face. "Oof-fine I can take a hint. Marie and I have lunch plans anyways. I'll see you tonight Lennie." I don't have enough time to throw the decorative pillow at him before the door is shut. I absolutely hated the nickname. I'm not even sure where it came from.

I packed up the few items I brought with me today. The only reason I did come in was for this meeting with Cameron. It is a big undertaking preparing for an event such as this one. With Fabian and his lackeys on my ass about Cameron's mess ups I have no desire to disappoint. I can feel a splitting headache coming my way because of it all.

Worst of all I unintentionally let it slip to my mother that I have nothing to wear for the gala tonight. In her world not having the perfect outfit is a curse, the worst possible thing that could ever happen. I should've known that she would explode in a frenzy, which she absolutely did. In theory it should be no surprise that she ordered a dress for me. Still that's only in theory, I am completely annoyed with her controlling antics.

An entire drive to my childhood home is not nearly enough time for me to fume. I can still feel steam pouring out of my ears and heat radiating my skin when I ring the doorbell. My mother is doing all of this so we can present as the perfect family, dressing me up is her way of beating me into some sort of submission. It's unfair, I have worked so hard for my degrees, for my reputation.

The door springs open, my mother standing there. Dazzling, she always dazzled. "My darling daughter." I quickly peck her cheek then follow her inside. "Would you like anything to drink? Perhaps a snack?" She asks as if she would be the one to serve it. I shake my head declining the offer. The bubbles of anger in my stomach are not allowing me to accept anything.